App Store - Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Doju, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

What do you think the average memory for an app bought from App Store will require? Apple said the maximum will be 2GB, but what will the average be, about? (Purely speculation of course, no one would know the true average.)

What do you think? 100MB?

2. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I would say the average weight for an application on the App Store would weigh in at 10-50MB
    with exceptions of medical applications & reference suites weighing in at 70MB reaching 200MB in some cases.

R-Fly

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

most of the apps for jailbroken iphones are in the kb... not mb

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Most will be under 10MB. Games and reference-material type apps will be more.

5. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I was actually surprised that Apple put such a high limit on apps. Wasn't it 2Gb? That seems like a big app. Maybe the medical ones could reach that high if there is a lot of reference material, but I would guess there could be a bigger database server that it could reach out to over wi-fi for that type of stuff.

6. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The largest footprint for an app I have ever seen was 8-10mb, and this was on Windows Mobile. The iPhone certainly has more storage space, but I don't think that means it will automatically cause the install size to skyrocket.

I think it will vary from less than 1 megabyte to 50 or so megabytes for your more normal applications. Medical reference apps, and games may weigh in with several hundred megabytes, but I still don't see them cresting 500.

I could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

7. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Yeah, I second (8th?) them being pretty small, with games and reference apps on the larger side.

8. Doju thread starter macrumors 68000

So, if you were to estimate, what would be the size of an average game?

Touchfighter? That .. One.. Racing Game? Super Monkey Ball?

Thanks for the speedy response, guys. :)

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

What?? The jailbroken applications are less than 1 MB for most of them. So AIM will probably be the same (fring got it to 300 kb)...and just the majority of the free applications will be as well. But yes, I'm guessing that the medical applications will go up to 50 MB...maybe...I've added tons of info and higher quality pictures than the ones shown in the event in my program for size testing, and it hasn't even hit 20 MB yet.

Not the fact that the iPhone has more storage...but the fact that it has a better processor,RAM, and overall performance...Don't forget they're getting Bioshock and Spore on there.

Touch Fighter should be less than 2 MB unless they're adding like 100s of levels. Super Monkey Ball is probably 10 MB at most since there's like 100 levels? as of June 9.