App Store asking for ID that I don't own?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ideal.dreams, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ideal.dreams, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011

ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Hey guys,

I'm really hoping someone can help me out here...it's kind of important. The other night, I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 4.3.1 and jailbroke it with Pwnage Tool. Everything went great, but when I go to update an app now (that I actually did buy), it prompts me for an apple ID that I don't even own. The Apple ID that it's asking for, and keep your mind out of the gutter, is "steve@rim.jobs". Searching Google, I noticed numerous people with the same problems but found no solutions.

How do I fix this? I need to be able to update my apps with MY account, not someone else's that I've never even heard of before.

Thanks!

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Go to Settings > Store and check to see if the Apple ID is yours.

3. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

I have done that, it says I am logged in as the correct ID. I have also tried logging out and then back in. Still same issue.

I have ALSO tried resyncing with iTunes, hoping it would override the other account, but no luck!

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

How many computers have you authorised with your account and vice versa? It is weird though. I have no idea.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Jest3r macrumors regular

Sounds like someone else has transferred their purchases to whatever computer you are syncing your iPhone to... Once a purchase is transferred to your computer, it will allow you to install it on your phone but when an update becomes available for that app, you have to enter the password for the account that purchased the app before you can update it.

7. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

@darkcurse: I have one computer authorized with my account, and that is my MacBook Pro.

@Applejuiced: I have done that previously with a similar issue and they were no help at all.

@Jest3r: I am the only one who uses my MBP, no one else could have transferred their apps to it.

If it helps, I do use Installous to download apps. I believe that the App Store is seeing the cracked app and thinking it needs to use that account to update it, but it's doing the same thing for apps I legitimately paid for.

8. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

What happens if you log that Apple ID out and then log in with your Apple ID?

9. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

@xlii: That's the problem; the ID that I don't own isn't even logged in to the App Store. My account is the only one that's ever been logged in.

10. ideal.dreams thread starter macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

@Applejuiced: I called Apple and was basically told "too bad". It turns out this is a side effect of jailbreaking and the only way to rid of it (that I was told) is to restore the phone to 100% new. My senior adviser told me that if we hadn't spoken before that he would have ended our conversation right away.

So really all I got out of it is a voided warranty and no help. Still hoping someone can shine some light on this issue, I am saving restoring my phone as an ultimate last resort...