iPhone App Store asking my password to download free apps

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by iRock1, Jan 25, 2013.

1. iRock1 macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Is it normal? I'm asked to put my password even when I want to download a free app, which doesn't make sense at all. I though this behavior was removed in iOS6... :S

The thing is that when I update an app I'm not asked to put my pass. It should be the same, right?

2. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I still have to put in my password for a Free App as well. I believe it is normal.
    Also, updates don't ask for my password either.

3. madsci954 macrumors 68030

If you are updating or installing an app that you already bought, it won't ask for your Apple ID info. Otherwise, free or paid, it will ask.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

They DID remove the password feature for a little while I think? But then they added it back for whatever reason.

5. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'm pretty sure the reason being that (i'm not sure as i've never bought an in app purchase) even if the app is free you can still download in app purchases without entering your pass word (correct me if i'm wrong)

So making you enter a password to download a free app is still a good idea.

6. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

In that case it would make more sense to ask the password when you want to buy in app purchases, not when you download a simple free app.

Anyway, it looks like that behavior is actually normal. I thought there was something wrong with the App Store settings.

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I'm glad it's that way. Sometimes my niece or nephew plays with my phone or surfs the web on it, just because an app is free doesn't mean it's automatically safe or non-objectionable. That said, a setting to toggle the password request if you're the sole user would be nice.

8. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

Restrictions? Anyone?

9. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Get a Android. I don't understand why it's so easy for people to trash the product they just spent money on but refuse to switch. :rolleyes: There's more than one choice, maybe you should look at other options that allow you "openness" instead of "restrictions". I mean, it's incredibly tough fo rme to lift my fingers and have to enter my password for something that may cost me something .

I swear, the human race is rapid declining in intelligence.

10. confucious macrumors 6502

Apps are linked to your account so they need your password to do this. Why wouldn't they! :confused:

11. iRock1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iRock1

I was talking about the Restrictions menu—that's why I was quoting Mrgraff. Settings > General > Restrictions should solve his issue.

You got me totally wrong.

So yes. I agree with you. The human race is rapid declining in intelligence.

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Because at the end of the day, the vast majority of people would either:

a) Not let someone use their device to download an App in the first place
    b) Not care that someone has downloaded something that won't cost them anything and that can easily be removed
    c) Use the parental controls to disable the ability to install without a password (which would almost certainly be an option if iOS worked that way). Perhaps this could be the default.

iOS is in the minority here. Other platforms with App Marketplaces/Stores do not ask for a password when you are installing a free App.

One of the major problems with Apple's security model is that they encourage users to have passwords that are hard to input into the device. If passwords were needed less often (perhaps only for paid Apps - or even not at all), people might go with a more secure password.