Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2005
Just out of curiosity, now that the App Store is looking through and matching up your already installed software, what about people who have installed illegal versions or shared their serial numbers on more than one computer? Is it possible that the App Store will look at the serial numbers and block such software? It certainly sounds possible. Big brother warning here?

BornToMac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
I was wondering the same thing. So far it has not, but it could definitely be possible. I had a legal copy of a web RSS reader that was removed from my dock and replaced with a "?".

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
No. The App Store doesn't know or care what serial number you used for any product, because it's not giving you any functionality based on something being installed. All it's doing is being helpful and saying, "Wait a second, you already have this, you probably don't want to buy it here."

jW

Squadleader

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Avalon Hill
Just out of curiosity, now that the App Store is looking through and matching up your already installed software, what about people who have installed illegal versions or shared their serial numbers on more than one computer? Is it possible that the App Store will look at the serial numbers and block such software? It certainly sounds possible. Big brother warning here?

You are worried big brother will find your illegal software...?? That is funny right there !!! :D:D

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
You are worried big brother will find your illegal software...?? That is funny right there !!! :D:D

Apple can't. If they do, they can be sued for 3452534534543 billion of dollars. It's illegal to spy on people their computers. So good luck for Apple to do that :p

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Unlikely. Why waste time implementing something that doesn't make them money and could go so easily wrong. A legit copy could be easily mistaken for an illegal copy. Why would Apple even want to go there?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.