Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewftw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
I downloaded and installed iOS 6 today on my iPhone 4S. My friend, also updated to the new software.
I am happy with everyhing, though I am experiencing a bug that my friend is not.
In his app store, the tabs on the bottom read 'Featured', 'Charts', 'Genius', 'Search', and 'Updates'. Clearly they renamed the the 'Top 25' and 'Categories' tab.
On my iPhone, however, the tabs still read the same as on iOS 5, even though the rest of the app store is completely revamped. When I tap on either 'Top 25' or 'Categories, an error message pops up stating that it "Cannot connect to the iTunes store".
Am I the only one facing this issue? Any clue on how to address this bug?

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Not to sure what OTF stands for.. I updates wirelessly, if that accounts for anything.

OTF: Over the Air. (without iTunes)

I was thinking that was the problem because I though iOS 6 was a delta update, but I'm not sure. Try shutting down the app and then restarting your phone. If that doesn't work, try doing a hard reset. (hold the power and home button until the phone turns off.)

andrewftw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
OTF: Over the Air. (without iTunes)

I was thinking that was the problem because I though iOS 6 was a delta update, but I'm not sure. Try shutting down the app and then restarting your phone. If that doesn't work, try doing a hard reset. (hold the power and home button until the phone turns off.)
Done and done! Still nothing :(

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I think you need to log into the App Store with your Apple ID in the Settings app. Try logging out and back in and see if that solves it.

Maick

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
Hi!

Is it just me or are the app store icons rearranged? It's now Featured/Search/Updates/Top Charts/Genius. I have booted my phone many times and tried hard reset also.

Edit: Solved, had to do Reset all settings.

Last edited:

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
I'm having the same issue as the OP. App Store works great on my iPad, but I get the same error on my iPhone 4S, and the buttons at the bottom are wrong. Odd...

edit - works great on my wife's 4S... so it's specific to the phone... Hmm...
Edit2 - "Reset all settings" did NOT work...really don't want to erase all content and settings and so a full restore... Grrr... Ah, we'll, ill just wait for it to resolve.
Edit3 - also affects Passbook app. The AppStore button at the bottom takes me into the App Store and delivers the same, "Cannot Connet..." error. This kinda sucks. Between this and the bizarre WiFi Apple.com login bug, it's been a rocky start for iOS 6.

Last edited:

DJAB1978

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

it's not a bug ;)

It's a typicall A/B test that Apple makes.

The new designed AppStore has some bugs (crashes, false displaying) and Apple is working on this.

Try to get a new session to see the new AppStore too ;)

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Ok... Fixed it. Here's what worked for me

Went to Settings, Date and Time. Turned off Auto-set. Manually set the year ahead one full year (to 2013). Out of settings, to Passbook, tapped the App Store button. It worked. Closed it out, opened App Store by itself. Buttons at the bottom were normal, all works fine. Back to Settings, turn on Auto date and time again. All is well. Weird bug! But, if you have it, try this!

Can't take credit for this fix - read about it on Macrumors.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...-passbook-cant-connect-to-itunes-store-error/

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
I downloaded and installed iOS 6 today on my iPhone 4S. My friend, also updated to the new software.
I am happy with everyhing, though I am experiencing a bug that my friend is not.
In his app store, the tabs on the bottom read 'Featured', 'Charts', 'Genius', 'Search', and 'Updates'. Clearly they renamed the the 'Top 25' and 'Categories' tab.
On my iPhone, however, the tabs still read the same as on iOS 5, even though the rest of the app store is completely revamped. When I tap on either 'Top 25' or 'Categories, an error message pops up stating that it "Cannot connect to the iTunes store".
Am I the only one facing this issue? Any clue on how to address this bug?

I had a similar issue and was still getting the iOS 5 app store. I held the power/home buttons and reset the phone, then it was ok. I still had the issues that were also fixed by amending the date, but that was a separate issue.

andrewftw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Ok... Fixed it. Here's what worked for me

Went to Settings, Date and Time. Turned off Auto-set. Manually set the year ahead one full year (to 2013). Out of settings, to Passbook, tapped the App Store button. It worked. Closed it out, opened App Store by itself. Buttons at the bottom were normal, all works fine. Back to Settings, turn on Auto date and time again. All is well. Weird bug! But, if you have it, try this!

Can't take credit for this fix - read about it on Macrumors.

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/2...-passbook-cant-connect-to-itunes-store-error/

Yes! This worked! Odd way to fix the problem, but it worked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.