App Store Bundles Gain Support for Mac Apps and Free Apps With Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple today announced expanded features for App Store bundles, introducing support for both Mac apps and free apps with subscriptions for the first time.

Mac app developers are now able to create bundles of up to 10 apps, allowing customers to purchase multiple Mac apps at once at a discounted price.

Bundles like these have long been available through the iOS app store for purchasing multiple games or apps at one time, but until today, Mac App Store developers were not able to create similar bundles.

Apple is also now allowing app developers to set up bundles that include free apps with auto-renewable subscriptions, letting users purchase an app bundle and access multiple apps at one subscription price.
    Mac App Store developers have long wanted the ability to create app bundles, and the introduction of the feature follows the launch of the revamped macOS Mojave Mac App Store that makes it easier for customers to find and download new Mac apps.

Article Link: App Store Bundles Gain Support for Mac Apps and Free Apps With Subscriptions

2. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

I can already hear the applause from all the patient developers. Sounds like a great improvement.

3. JamonBull macrumors regular

JamonBull

4. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

These are some good improvements. I would also like them to add a policy that requires developers to include in the app description exactly what you get for free and what you have to pay for when downloading these subscription apps. Every "free" app does it different, whether it's offering no functionality without paying, limited functionality with option to subscribe for full functionality, or full functionality with option to subscribe for unneeded but sometimes useful "extras." If they don't tell you what it offers in the description, you never know until you download the app and figure it out, and then it's stuck in your purchase history forever.

5. MrChurchyard macrumors member

Phil Schiller taking over leadership over the App Stores has really started to turn things around.

6. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

This will open up so many great apps to the App Store - probably Office or Creative Cloud. I’d only buy them, but to lots of people subscriptions are okay.

7. Konigi macrumors member

Konigi

The devs have been asking for it, now it's finally here -- great to have more options. But it's curious it was not synchronized with the release of macOS Mojave. They missed an opportunity to make it more visible, giving an even freasher light at the new Mac AppStore.

I really hope Mac apps get the love they deserve, and that I can update most of my programs using one system instead of using the update system of each program not found on the Mac AppStore.

8. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

I welcome AAA apps coming to the MAS. It allows for a much cleaner install and uninstall compared to different 3rd party solutions. Adobe CC for example installs crap all over the place. While I have no need to ever uninstall it, if I did I would have to clean install macOS to make sure every single dependent file is gone. I just don’t know if the MAS offers the adequate security that Adobe and Autodesk rely on.

For example, with CC 2019, Adobe finally laid down the hammer on piracy for the first time in decades. Pirates are in shambles and were totally caught by surprise! Microsoft on the other hand never cared much about piracy since they know it does wonders for their market share and eventually kids will buy licenses when they’re out of school. They also know that those in the 3rd world simply can not afford 1st world prices.

I used to pirate a lot of stuff when I was a broke teen but after graduating I stopped completely. My views are more lenient when it comes to students but after you start making money, you really have no excuse to not pay for software.

9. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Interesting timing for the change and announcement given Photoshop CC 2019.

It’s a welcoming change, however why did it take so long?

10. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

Upcoming: Macs to run the apps on

(that was easy ;))

11. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

CC installs an insane amount of bloatware. I found lots of those background tasks randomly using 100% CPU at times. I got fed up and went back to CS6, deleting the various bloatware that comes with that and cracking it even though I have a license.

Would be great if the MAS could replace that junk.

12. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

What about Photoshop CC 2019?

13. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

Adobe Creative Cloud!

14. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

What machine? The Adobe background processes barely use any resources on my machine and they all load pretty quick given that they’re notorious for being slow to load. The energy is usually at 0.1 or less for the menu bar app. I’ve never had any slowdown at all using their apps and I only have 16GB LPDDR@2133MHz. I actually find that Microsoft Office 2016 feels a little bit heavier given that it’s just a productivity suite.

15. fairuz macrumors 68020

fairuz

It was the Mac Pro in my signature, which is generally a capable machine. The background tasks were usually at 0% CPU but spiked up to 100% occasionally, I guess when updating or something. Since those spikes lasted more than a minute, I was suspicious and deleted their binaries.

16. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Photoshop CC announced 2018 and released early 2019.

17. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

Yes, I know Adobe announced and shipped new versions of Photoshop. What I meant was, what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

18. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Mac has a long history in the desktop publishing and graphics industry. The absence of full Photoshop on iOS/ARM limited these users to stick to macOS/Windows desktop environments.

If Apple had moved ahead with introducing ARM in any capacity relating to macOS it would not be well received. The introduction of Photoshop reassures desktop publishers and graphic artists alike that iOS/ARM are comparable replacements.

If one observes the advancements between iOS/macOS it becomes clear. macOS has matured, it’s the past in Apples eyes along with any inefficiencies. iOS is the future to build on, it’s still relatively young and does not have a lot of baggage (so to speak).

The focus is to transition key macOS desktop apps to iOS where it is universal. Once the introduction and transition begins from x64 > ARM for macOS, key software is available and comparable which translates to a smooth transition.

Microsoft had begun work a while ago to support ARM and not some restricted version of the past. Adobe announcement and commitment only reinforces Apples intentions.

Imagine running full Photoshop natively on iOS and macOS (ARM) or full Windows apps. The “A” branded silicone are narrowing the performance/price gap with x64 and Apple loves a control closed ecosystem unfortunately.

19. spipouh macrumors newbie

c'est une bonne nouvelle pour les développeurs

20. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

I wish MR forums had a language translation option/button. It may not be 100% accurate, however the gist of the response gets through.

About time to consider your international members MR
    --- Post Merged, Oct 20, 2018 ---
    I remember when PS was promo software with scanners and SuperPaint was in its prime ;)

To clarify in recent history the move from PPC to x86 was slow due to many DTP apps such as QuarkXpress not having native code for Carbon/Cocoa. Had these apps been updated sooner the transition would have been sooner.

This time around Apple is making sure that key apps in the long standing industries that use macOS are prepared so customers have an easy transitional option vice having to switch between a Classic and Carbon/Cocoa apps. This taken a performance hit as Classic apps would run slower and at times crash. While Cocoa apps were optimized, it left for a disjointed performance user experience.

With the eventual evolution of macOS running on ARM it’s optimal for Apple and its MAS to be singular coded to run on both ARM and x64 without a “lite” version type experience on iOS.

Touch elements will transition to mouse UI/UX automatically without any difference between the core app.

Full app experience on macOS ARM and iOS. One version vice two.

Apple may eventually merge MAS and the AppStore once most apps have dual environment support. My prediction 2020-22.

21. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

You lost me right there. This story has nothing to do with iOS. This is about the Mac App Store. That's why I don't understand your commentary about Photoshop.

PS: I'm all too familiar with the history of Photoshop and the Mac... I was using Photoshop since before Adobe bought the code from BarneyScan. ;)