App Store: create account without credit card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethryn Freyman, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Jethryn Freyman, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2011

Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Tried out the App Store today, it looks cool. Way cooler than expected, I actually like it. I decided to go on a downloading spree of FREE apps.

Now I have an Apple ID, but I've never filled out the credit card info. I will not be using the App Store for anything paid, I don't want to put in my credit card info, is there any way I can create an account without giving Apple my CC details?

Thanks!

Nevermind, I just did it anyway.

My god the App Store is so simple! This is great!

Cons: seems pretty hopeless at detecting installed apps. Apparently I don't have GarageBand or Keynote installed. Ah well.

2. adeelcheema99 macrumors newbie

3. namoeg macrumors newbie

I'd be interested in knowing how to do this, also. I'm definitely not going to give Apple any credit card info in order to get a "free" app.

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

May I ask why you would not buy any Apps from the store if you experience with the free Apps was so good? I am looking forward to getting free and paid apps from the store this weekend. Maybe even updating my older version of my current Apple apps.

I think it's great myself...not needing to buy a disc from a store and then do an install...no fuss, no muss. Plus the store will remember what I own and let me re-download in the future if I somehow lose my data.

I know some people just want to try out the free apps, but for you to say specifically, that you "will not be using the App Store for anything paid" has some finality to it.

5. Jethryn Freyman thread starter macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

After using it for two days now I think I've changed my mind. Good quality apps at a fair price, I think it's great what Apple is doing. Making buying the apps in a legit way more appealing than getting it for free by a more shady means.

Not to say that some apps aren't over priced: Example, I see Pacman for sale for $4.99, which (no offence meant to the creator) looks like nothing compared to the free Pac The Man X (great game.)

6. jace88 macrumors regular

jace88

With greater take up of the App Store, similar to the iOS App Store, better quality titles should follow.

7. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

This would work with the mac app store? Will I need to create a new Apple ID?

8. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

9. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

Yes it is possible, just helped a friend open his iTunes account without CC this past Christmas.

10. GGJstudios, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Where do you get the idea that this is old information?
    But it doesn't say it will work with the Mac App Store:
    Although you can use gift cards at the Mac App Store, so it stands to reason you can open an account this way:
    From Mac App Store: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

11. S.Jobs macrumors member

just use a gift card of like $10 when you make your apple id, thats what i did and it works perfectly.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

LOL, Never mind I just created using info from a Google search. All good. Thanks.

13. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

I opened the account in itunes first then logged into the Mac App store.