Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

App Store Download Statistics Suggest Strong iPod Touch Holiday Sales

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MobileCrunch reports on data from mobile analytics firm Flurry showing very strong App Store download performance coming from iPod touch devices, suggesting a strong holiday season for Apple's premier iPod line. On Christmas Day, Flurry's data saw download volume from iPod touches increase nearly 1,000% from pre-Christmas levels, spiking well above comparable iPhone downloads, which typically lead iPod touch sales by a considerable margin.

Overall, Flurry's data reveals 51% month-to-month growth in App Store downloads for December using forecast data for the remaining days of the month. Google's Android Market also experienced strong month-to-month growth of 22%, but was unable to match Apple's performance, at least in application downloads.

The apparent tremendous boost in iPod touch-based App Store downloads was not unexpected, as similar indicators of strong iPod touch sales were seen last year.

Article Link: App Store Download Statistics Suggest Strong iPod Touch Holiday Sales

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Looks like there was a nice little jump for the iPhone too.

Does this mean that the iPod touch will keep ahead of the iphone for a while?

An iPod touch does make for a nice xmas gift.

Comment

joconnell

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2009
iPod touch more likely gifts

I'd imagine an iPod touch is much more likely to be given as a gift than an iPhone. I'd see setting a phone number, cell phone carrier, monthly phone plan, etc. as all deterrents in giving an iPhone as a gift.

Comment

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; Archos5 Build/Donut) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Does this mean that the iPod touch will keep ahead of the iphone for a while?

It will always keep ahead, by virtue of the expensive required data plan.

Comment

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Since no developer has access to their sales from Dec. 23-29, I'll wait for concrete proof until I go pat Apple on the back.

Comment

Angelchild

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2009
Steve was right

SJ was right when he said (implicitly) that the low entry price for the AppStore (199$ iPod touch) is more important than a camera on its back.

Comment

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
I bought several as gifts from the apple refurb store (let's not get into how they screwed up shipping royally) and an iphone.

I think the Kindle and Touch were the Xmas blockbusters. Rightfully so as they perform admirably.

Comment

kmiahali

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
Manhattan, NYC
The iPod Touch is a lot easier to give as a gift as it does not require a data plan or any phone features whatsoever. It's strictly for media (game playing and music).

Comment

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009
The economy must be roaring back, if people can afford to buy new smartphones in such quantities!

Comment

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wait, people give things as gifts around this time of year? And shiny Apple media devices are popular gifts? And when people get these gifts, they start using them right away? Who knew?

Comment

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Wait, are we still talking about the chart that has the iPod ahead for 1 day and the iPhone ahead for the other 29 days?

Which definition of 'always' are you using?

You added the wrong device in your quote brackets. He was referring to the iPhone. The iPod Touch does not require an expensive data plan.

Comment

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
What everyone is failing to understand is that most of these aren't new iPods as gifts, but rather iTunes gift cards that are given for Christmas as gifts to current iPod owners.

I think the numbers shown in this article are a bit skewed.

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

Small White Car said:
[The iPod] will always keep ahead, by virtue of the expensive required data plan.

Wait, are we still talking about the chart that has the iPod ahead for 1 day and the iPhone ahead for the other 29 days?

Which definition of 'always' are you using?

I thought the same when I read his reply. Before seeing this chart I'd naturally assume that the iPod Touch was the bigger app seller due to the total cost of ownership between the two.

It's a good showing from the iPhone nonetheless!

Comment

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
this data seems to support a market for an apple tablet not connected via a radio chip.

demand for the touch continues to surpass my expectations or even understanding (i covet all-in-one convenience, so that explains my bias). Others' observations that the costly service plans make the touch a much more attractive proposition are obviously correct.

Comment

ArrowSmith

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2009

I thought the same when I read his reply. Before seeing this chart I'd naturally assume that the iPod Touch was the bigger app seller due to the total cost of ownership between the two.

You use an Android device AND Mac OS X? Treason I say.

Comment

rtdunham

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
St. Petersburg, FL, Northern KY
What everyone is failing to understand is that most of these aren't new iPods as gifts, but rather iTunes gift cards that are given for Christmas as gifts to current iPod owners.

I think the numbers shown in this article are a bit skewed.

What you seem to fail to understand is that the chart doesn't show product purchases, it shows downloads from phones & touches. Comments in this thread refer to the seemingly logical conclusion that more downloads means more devices in use. If by "numbers shown in this article" you mean the data in the chart, it's hard to image how they'd be skewed, since they simply reflect capture of download activity.

Or maybe i missed your point?

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

ArrowSmith said:

You use an Android device AND Mac OS X? Treason I say.

Just trying to "think different" so to speak. ;)

(Two Android devices btw) :)

Comment

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
This honestly isn't surprising at all.

You CAN'T give a physical iPhone as a gift. They just give you a gift card in the value of a new iPhone. You then have to go into the apple store and claim your iPhone. I wouldn't think the recipients of these gift cards were all able to go out on christmas morning and get their new phone. (I know this because I purchased a 3GS for my Dad and this is how they had me do it.)

iPod Touch, however, can be physically given as a gift, and is ready to use straight out of the box.

The small jump in iPhone downloads is probably due to iTunes gift cards used by current iPhone owners. The HUGE jump in Touch download sales is most likely a combination of iTunes gift cards, and new owners playing with their shiny new Touch.

Comment

brsboarder

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2004
Wouldn't we suspect long term that iPhone always beats out iPod touch app downloads based on the time one has access to Internet when using an iPod touch? I would like to see time on iPod touch with Internet number of downloaded apps compare to iPhone. My thought is that iPhones will alwas download more based upon the acces and yes I know getting that data is impossible

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.