Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
When downloading Mavericks from the App store do i get it as a dmg file or is the new installation done automatically and on the fly as it downloads?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
what do you mean as an app? what extension does the installation file have?

It downloads as an application, AKA to your applications folder. The extension would be .app. You open it just like you would any other app (the app store, safari, mail, etc..) It opens, and then you follow the prompts to install Mavericks.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
It downloads as an application, AKA to your applications folder. The extension would be .app. You open it just like you would any other app (the app store, safari, mail, etc..) It opens, and then you follow the prompts to install Mavericks.
So it doesn't install Mavericks by it self after its downloaded, it waits there to be double clicked by me etc.
I can take it to install on another intel mac right?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So it doesn't install Mavericks by it self after its downloaded, it waits there to be double clicked by me etc.
I can take it to install on another intel mac right?

Correct, it doesn't install by itself. I don't remember if the app opens by itself or not, but either way you have to instigate the prompts to move through the installation.

And yes, it can be installed on another Mac as long as it is your computer associated with your Apple ID.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Depending on how you do it, it may automatically start, but you have the chance to cancel it and the app will wait until it's started again before it does the actual install.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Correct, it doesn't install by itself. I don't remember if the app opens by itself or not, but either way you have to instigate the prompts to move through the installation.

And yes, it can be installed on another Mac as long as it is your computer associated with your Apple ID.

Just to clarify here -
When you download the OS X installer, be it Lion, ML, or MavX, the process is always the same from the App store.
The download completes, and the installer will automatically launch. I'm guessing that Apple thinks that when you download an OS X installer, you then install it on something…
Important: if you proceed with the install, the installer deletes the installer.app at the end of the install process.
So, if you want to save the installer (somewhere else), then Quit the installer, and do what you need with the installer.app

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Technically, can't answer. Legally, no as it's tied to your Apple ID. Why don't they just download it from the app store themselves? It's free.
There is no internet connection for now to my friends location. Other than that, im just wondering how is Mavericks tied with a users Apple ID?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Your friend could download MavX, using their own AppleID, but on your Mac. That way will then show a link for the download to their own account, and everything will be above board...

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Your friend could download MavX, using their own AppleID, but on your Mac. That way will then show a link for the download to their own account, and everything will be above board...
I havent understood what the case is with the Apple iD. Usually when we used to install a MacOS we inserted our credentials there while setting it up, now with MavX, using the Apple iD it is inserted automatically?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is that a question?
(I don't know the full answer - only what people suggest… )

When you download MavX from the App Store, you can then install that on any Apple-branded computer (already running 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8) that you own or control.
That's what the license agreement for 10.9 says.

Despite the fact that the MavX upgrade is free, that does not mean that you are free to use it outside of the terms of the software license.
If you can review the license agreement, and decide that you can show that "own or control" includes your friends's Mac (do you keep the computer at your house, despite the fact that someone else actually owns it?), then do it. (and goodonya!)
Otherwise, MavX is a free update. Let your friend use HIS Apple ID to download it.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
I had to wait for several apps to update, so I'm installing Mavericks only now.
The download must have been the most user unfriendly experience I ever had, software and otherwise. No dialog, no progress bar, no info, no feedback at all.
Except for the phrase "one more second..." showing for about a minute. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.