App Store Downloads uses Cellular Data even when you asked not to

Discussion in 'iPad' started by number84, Apr 12, 2012.

1. number84 macrumors 6502

Seems in the App Store settings if you turn "Use Cellular Data" to OFF, this does nothing as you're still able to download/install apps on cellular data. And yes, I confirmed I am not connected to WIFI.

2. pat park macrumors 6502a

If youre connected to wifi , turn the cellular data off.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

I thought that "Use Cellular Data" was only referring to the automatic downloads (above it).

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Correct. It will if you specifically ask it to, so stop asking it to.

The toggle switch in iTunes Store is for automatic iTunes in the Cloud downloads in the background. Like when you buy on iTunes Desktop and it automatically using push notifications triggers iPad/iPhone to download the app remotely.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yep exactly! Nothing to do with actually downloading an app

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I always turn off cellular if I am WiFi. Only turn it on when I need to use it.

7. number84 thread starter macrumors 6502

that wasn't the point of my thread, but i hear 'ya.

makes sense...guess it wasn't as intuitive to me that that was the reason for that toggle.

8. pat park macrumors 6502a

Knock yourself out. Leave the cellular data on and start another thread when you're amazed that you're still using cellular data when you download apps.

Turn off the cellular data if your using wifi.

9. number84 thread starter macrumors 6502

??? someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!

thanks for your input...but the point of my thread was i thought it odd that i could still download apps using cellular data even though i had changed the setting...but have already been informed that the setting is for automatic downloads.

10. pat park macrumors 6502a

the point of the thread is you are using cellular data when you thought you were not.

To not use cellular data, turn it off. Really simple. If you want to continue arguing this point, like I said, knock yourself out and leave the data on.

Pointless threads like this grate at me. Just like all the yellow tint screen threads.

11. number84 thread starter macrumors 6502

no, i knew i was on cellular data. if you'd just read the thread title, you'd understand.

12. pat park macrumors 6502a

I can read just fine.
    You know, you don't have to reply to every post. If we don't agree, you can just ignore what I have to say. Unless if you're one of those "have to get the last word in" types.

Good luck to you managing your iPad. I hope nothing serious happens.

13. rkahl macrumors 65816

Are you from California?

14. Digidesign macrumors 6502

What's worse, pointless threads or oblivious posters like you who miss the point of the thread from the very beginning, yet continue to post? :rolleyes:

15. pat park macrumors 6502a

damn, i sound like a total idiot. OP, sorry. My head has been up my a** all day today. I was wrong, and wronger. I just got home and feel like cr@p about this.

16. number84 thread starter macrumors 6502

No worries.

17. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

I do think they need to make it more clear when this thing will use cellular data. I know it's as simple as turning it off when using WiFi, but really, with Apples emphasis on things just working, why should you have to go in and manually turn off cellular data. If its on wifi, it should use wifi. Before I started switching it off, it was burning through 20-30 meg a night just sitting at home while wifi was available.