Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boganrulz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 27, 2007
Will Emulators be aloud on the 2.0 app store or do they fall under the bad stuff.

Only asking cause i have tried to load on a GBA emulator onto ipod touch and it spazed out and didnt work.

Replies appreciated :)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Will Emulators be aloud on the 2.0 app store or do they fall under the bad stuff.

Only asking cause i have tried to load on a GBA emulator onto ipod touch and it spazed out and didnt work.

Replies appreciated :)

There's nothing that bans emulators per se, but most (if not all) would fail to be accepted because they rely on copied / hacked roms.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I have a feeling Apple said emulators would not pass muster to be on the app store. I may be mistaken though.

Emulators for things like GBA, NES etc are all a bit shady however (with no really legit way of getting ROMs) so I can't see Apple allowing it

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I would bet that the installer system will be broken so that people can install whatever apps they want without having to jailbreak their whole phone.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
There's nothing that bans emulators per se, but most (if not all) would fail to be accepted because they rely on copied / hacked roms.

There is a ban on everything of the sort. See the license agreement:
3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

Emulators would be disqualified because, in order for them to be equipped with the capability of loading and executing the ROM files, they'd be running awry of the ban on "... lanuch(ing) other executable code by any means..."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.