App Store Error: No GUID is available. Contact Support for assistance.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bripab007, Jun 24, 2011.

1. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I encountered this error on my Mac Mini 2,1 with replaced Mac Pro 802.11n wi-fi card, back when the App Store first came out, 10.6.6. I followed this fix of trashing the networkinterfaces.plist and re-creating it from scratch: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2731156?start=0&tstart=0

That fix worked on 10.6.6, was unnecessary on 10.6.7, as I didn't encounter the problem then, and is now happening again since upgrading to 10.6.8. Unfortunately, the fix doesn't appear to be working this time.

The one thing I noticed is that, after deleting the networkinterfaces.plist and rebooting, when I re-added my network adapter back in, it automatically remembered my preferred wi-fi network and password. For some reason, I'm thinking it did not remember those things when I had to perform this fix the first time many months ago.

Anyone else having this problem?

2. steveoc macrumors regular

Yes, I have experienced the same thing. This fix has worked in the past, but does not work this time for me either.

3. bripab007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm still having the problem, but I've admittedly not had time to really sit down and mess with it further.

I'd like to find some other .plists that could be trashed to reset the entire networking devices environment.

Wonder if there's a way to remove-reinstall the driver (kext?) for the wi-fi NIC?

4. steveoc macrumors regular

I've messed with all kinds of things in the Libraries/Preferences/SystemConfiguration directory including: NetworkInterfaces.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist, and com.apple.network.identification.plist. I also threw out the preferences for the app store. Nothing. iTunes support told me to reinstall iTunes, but iTunes seems to work fine.

I suspect my problem is related to the fact that the installed ethernet ports aren't working and I'm connecting via a 3rd party pci nic. That worked fine until I upgraded to 10.6.8.

5. steveoc macrumors regular

An update on this topic--the message changed to:

Your device or computer could not be verified. Contact Support for assistance.

I was connecting to the Internet via a 3rd party ethernet card because the built in ones were fried. Once I got that repaired, I was able to connect to the App store after I deleted the Libraries/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist and rebooted.

It appears that if there is some kind of a nonstandard network interface, this error pops up. There is much discussion of this error on hackintosh forums.