Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When do you think one will be released? When the 3rd-generation Apple TV is released this fall? :confused:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Never...? Seriously, I can't see it happening.

• Developers would have to design for yet another resolution at yet another aspect ratio
  • How would you control it, a D-pad?!

People can already view apps on their TV using screen sharing with the iPad 2, which solves both of those issues (well, the first is ignored). Because of that, an ATV app store could cause a decrease in iPad 2 sales.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I would love to have an app store for the aTV, but the problem is that I don't think Apple believes that the aTV user base is large enough to make an aTV app store worthwhile. Personally, I think an aTV app store would drive aTV sales, but what comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Anyways, I would guess that an app store will happen as soon as Apple stops referring to the aTV as a "hobby".

People can already view apps on their TV using screen sharing with the iPad 2, which solves both of those issues (well, the first is ignored). Because of that, an ATV app store could cause a decrease in iPad 2 sales.

Well, going this way is OK for a few things, but for stuff like Netflix and Hulu, it's incredibly wasteful of your network resources. Your iPad would be using both download and upload to your router and the aTV would be downloading. If you had two iPads streaming two movies to two separate aTVs, you'd use up all of the bandwidth of a 11n network pretty fast.

If the aTV had Hulu, etc. directly on it, you'd free up the network resources that the iPad was chewing up.

ft

Last edited:

powerman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I see apple playing with apps for it that get released with iOS 5. Much like MLB at bat and NBA apps. There is also a rumor that apple may buy hulu. I think an individual app store would be a waste of time now, with screen sharing, this way apple can get you into 2 idevices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.