Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Searched this and could not find any topics on it. Just wandering if anyone is heard of Apple creating an App Store for the Mac. This in my opinion would be a great idea.

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I know about the downloads section, but still feel they could make a dedicated application with a SDK for developers to create games, etc. for the Mac.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I know about the downloads section, but still feel they could make a dedicated application with a SDK for developers to create games, etc. for the Mac.

They do have an SDK for the Mac. Its called Xcode, the same app that is used to make games/apps for the iPhone.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I would love it if they did this, be a good way to cut down on piracy as well if the apps you downloaded had to be tied to your iTunes account. But I don't think I'd like it if you had to buy the apps from iTunes, that would be silly and irrelevant to iTunes in general, but I would like to see it, like Steam I guess, but for general applications rather than games.

Imagine downloading Final Cut Studio though, 60GB :eek:

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I would love it if they did this, be a good way to cut down on piracy as well if the apps you downloaded had to be tied to your itunes account.

Imagine downloading Final Cut Studio though, 60GB :eek:

The same way they crack iphone apps I'm sure they'd crack the mac apps. I do think this would be a cool though.

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I think this would be a way to streamline games and apps for the Mac. Also, would be away for Apple to promote the Mac again.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I still don't see what's wrong with using apple.com/downloads. One major advantage is Apple doesn't take 30% from developers, and developers don't have to pay anything to be a part of it. No point in trying to lock down the Mac like they have the iPhone.

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I am not saying lock it down like the iPhone, but kinda like you can purchase your music somewhere else than iTunes if you like, but you can have that option of buying the songs from iTunes if you like.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.