App Store games and applications running on Snow Leopard?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by moneyman118, Feb 20, 2009.

1. moneyman118 macrumors 6502

So I was at the Oakbrook Apple store, Illinois, helping my inlaws purchase their first Computer in 12 years! Lets just say they we're still using dail up when I unboxed the beautiful iMac (20" 2.4). My inlaw thought you could purchase pacman from the App Store, $4.99 i think, and play it on her new iMac. I quickly said no it was for iPod touches and iPhones only. A light quickly turned on in my wandering mind. What if Apple has plans to expand the games and applications to run on a "normal", for lack of a better word, mac? It would lead to more sales for software developers and would reach a larger target audiance, current mac owners whom dont own one of the two available devices! I think its going to happen if not on Snow Leopard then surley in the next OS. Let me know what everyone thinks.

Sorry I dont have any photoshoped pics to flaunt on this one! :apple:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What would be the point? The Apps would look tiny and the motion sensing/touch aspect wouldn't work.

Anyway, surely it'd be specific to iTunes, not the OS version.

3. moneyman118 thread starter macrumors 6502

If they could reformat the games then it would be a great way to drive revenue for apple and the developer. If I could pay $9.99 for a simple stripped down version of Sim City and play it on my Mac I would do it.

4. khongaeng macrumors regular

Try Pac the Man X 1.0.4

if you are looking for a free pac-man game for your mac try Pac the Man X. I haven't played it for a couple of years but I think I remember it being a fairly decent game.

http://www.mcsebi.com/pacx.php

5. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

I wouldn't make sense to sell Apps for Macs through iTunes.

6. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

Sounds good

While I see huge problems making iPhone apps try to run on a mac (w/o GPS, Touchscreen, etc.) I see no problem with apple making an "MacApp" store.

There is already a gaming App store on the pc, it is run by Valve and called "Steam." Games can be purchased and run all from their Steam service, and even has DRM to prevent piracy.

Microsoft has an app store on it's video game console, called Xbox Live. Game extras, videos, etc are all sold from there and work on the Xbox video game system.

Right now I don't see apple actually running this kind of service, although if anyone could make it succeed it would be Apple.

A MacApp store would have the advantage of Macintosh software being almost unavailable in the retail outlet, except for a few specific "Mac" stores. Even with the large amount of new Mac users over the last couple of years, I have yet to see Mac software sold at Target, Walmart, Sears, etc. An MacApp store would be the perfect addition for apple to build into their computers, giving the consumers a good way to find more mac software to purchase.

Too bad apple isn't looking to adding a "MacApp" store. I would probably use it for most of my software purchases.

7. Sigur macrumors regular

Sigur

What I meant is that it would not fit the concept of iTunes to sell Apps for a normal computer.