App Store Hacked!!!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Rowdy, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Rowdy macrumors newbie

All just a little warning, and that is Apple iTunes/App Store is not safe. 10:30 on 9/20/11 someone used my account to purchase iMobster for a grand total on 99.99. :eek:

I just bought a new iMac last month and received the 100 app store card for being a student, and that is what the perps grabbed. Spent the whole day redoing my major financial accounts with better Passwords. Oh, and I used 1Password free trial to help generate these beasts. Missed out of getting 1Password for the wonderful $4.99 price tag last week on the app store.

Apple stated it will reimburse the amount stolen, but has not been posted yet. Lucky for me that my debt card was not touched, which I have ordered a new one.

2. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

The app store wasn't hacked.:rolleyes:

You just fell victim to a phishing scam.

3. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Just like any business that uses the Internet, your information is only as secure as you choose it to be. Phishing and other malware can brung your information to malicious persons.

Apple and others often recommend using/changing passwords often to help counter their efforts. Let's face it if people have your email (and it's nit that hard to acquire them) and you use crappy passwords you could be an easy victim.

4. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Yeah. You were phished...

You don't have to pay for password generators.

There's a new school of thought that most password complexity is pretty easy to brute force attack, but if you use spaces in your passwords, you increase the time it takes to do this exponentially.

So whilst 'this will log me in' is made of simple words, it would be harder to crack than 'As3cret' because of its use of spaces. Then if you introduce caps and numbers with the spaces, you will get an even harder password to crack.

That being said, you probably just handed your password to them during their phishing attack, so complexity counts for nothing.

5. Rowdy thread starter macrumors newbie

It was a wake up call to get all my legions of accounts straighter out. I have been thinking for the last week or so change your passwords, but no! Glad it wasn't to serious.:cool:

6. OptyCT macrumors 6502

Wasn't there a story that hit a few months back about a fair number of iTunes accounts that were compromised? I remember it at the time because I immediately changed my password. I think it only affects accounts that carry a pre-paid balance in iTunes.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...but how was the App Store Hacked:confused: Sounds like someone obtained your password (your responsibility) and Apple is generously giving you a credit for your error.