App Store icon showing wrong # of available updates

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by psywzrd, Oct 7, 2009.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

My App Store icon is showing 6 available updates even though I have updated all of my apps except for 1 (istat). I have rebooted several times, but I can't get the badge to change to 1 instead of 6 (and yes, I have synced several times as well). Any ideas?

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

3. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, he can't update it because Apple made them take out the "Free Memory" feature.

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

This is exactly right. The other apps listed under the "Updates" tab all appear to be the most recent version my phone (at least as far as I can tell - some of them don't list the version within the program). Anyway, I know they're all updated except for istat because I checked for updates this morning from my Mac and there was only one update available.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Take iStat off the phone and run the update program on the phone once again.

Then, re-sync iStat back from your copy on iTunes.

Maybe that will line everything up correctly again.

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

7. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Yes, it is. Do you think that has something to do with it? I've never had this issue before.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If by chance youre using a cracked copy of beejive, delete it and try again.

9. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Nope - no cracked apps for me. The apps showing updates are UFC, LightBike Free, Yelp, The Snow Report, Enigmo and iStat. It's not really a huge deal since the badge will always show as long as I refuse to update iStat, but it's kind of annoying that it shows the wrong #.

10. VenusianSky macrumors 65816

VenusianSky

I had the same thing happen to my iphone (never jailbroken, all legit apps). I eventually got it to clear up, but I don't remember what I did.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

That comment must have been a great help to the OP! :)

12. iPhoneVic macrumors regular

iPhoneVic

It could

be because you are on 3.0.x and the update is for 3.1 only.

13. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Nope - I'm on 3.1. Like I said, with the exception of istat all of the apps are up to date on my phone. iTunes on my computer only shows 1 available update and that's expected.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

This comment must have been a great help to the OP! :)

15. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

This comment got me thinking about something. Let say that I can find a cracked copy of iStat that is the same version as the one I have - the version with the free memory option (or maybe I can just crack my own paid version). If I install the cracked app to my phone, will iTunes still prompt me to update the app? I wouldn't mind installing a cracked app in this case since I already paid for the app (it was only $.99 but I did pay for it). If that would work, I could get rid of the badge on my AppStore icon for good once I figure out why the other 5 apps are still showing updates.

Anyone know if this would work?

16. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Well if you delete the app, does the badge go away? The reason I ask is because if you have a cracked beejive, your app store will always show an update linked to the email address "pwned@yahoo.com".

17. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Haven't tried that yet. I'll try it later when I'm home. I have a feeling the badge will stay though since it's showing 6 rather than 1.

18. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I just tried deleting istat from the phone - all it did was change the badge from 6 to 5; however, just for *****s and giggles I decided to try updating the other 5 apps directly on my phone and the badge changed to 1 as expected. I'm not sure why that made a difference because I'm positive I already had the most recent version of those apps on my phone, but I'm glad it worked.

Now I'm going to try and find a cracked version of istat to see if I can get rid of the "1" badge permanently.

19. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Success!!! I found a cracked copy of istat 1.0 and downloaded it. I uninstalled my legit copy, installed the cracked version and sure enough the badge is now gone from my AppStore icon! I know cracked apps are frowned upon here but I hope it's ok in this case. I do have a legit version of the app that I paid for but I didn't want to update it and lose the "free memory" function. Now I don't have to see that badge anymore and I'll keep a copy of my legit istat ipa file just in case I decide to update in the future. Hopefully this info helps some of you in a similar situation with an app you don't want to update for whatever reason.

20. modit macrumors 6502

Not to be naïve or anything but what's really the point of checking "Free Memory" if a person can look at settings>general>about and see the space left...

Thanks!

21. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

That's not what free memory means. Free memory is a function within the program that frees up RAM. You're referring to storage space.

22. modit macrumors 6502

Oh...it's like the SBsetting's "Free Memory" button that I use on my phone (jailbroken of course :) )

Thanks for clearing that up!

23. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Is it bad that ive been having to do that every few hours recently because my phone sucks up memory for no reason?

24. modit macrumors 6502

Same here (3G iPhone). Seems that with every new firmware update, my iPhone gets slowed down that it goes beyond being usable (in regards with email and multiple safari tabs). I haven't sent an email in months (memory making the email fail to send). I'd bet that the 3GS users know that their phone is how the 3G should have been.

I'm living with it and waiting to upgrade to the next iteration (4th gen - 2010*) which will help me get rid of the problem once and for all (can't do much for the hardware right now). All that I can say is to stay on 3.0.1 as I'm doing or downgrade your firmware but if you like the added benefit of 3.0 (more app store support + tons of features)...hmmmmm c'est la vie :/

*better come back in aluminum lol