Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeanmi1229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
UK
Trying to login to my Apple ID account using itunes, App Store, iCloud. Each application freezes after entering password. This began after installing the new OS X 10.11 - El Capitan.

I'm currently using a MacBook Pro 15' (Mid -2010). Never had this problem with OS X Yosemite. Not sure if it has anything to do with the Keychain. Anyone having the similar problems?? Any help will be gladly appreciated..!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.08.28.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.08.28.png
    41.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.07.54.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.07.54.png
    270.9 KB · Views: 205
  • Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.10.09.png
    Screenshot 2015-10-02 16.10.09.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 187

SplitEights

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Los Angeles
I had the same problem.

Previously, I was never able to login to use iMessage from my desktop Mac, but basically ignored the problem (used my iphone). After El Capitan, I was not able to access iTunes or iCloud at all.

I did notice that I was missing a serial number on my computer (from Finder, go to About This Mac). Somehow my serial number got wiped when I took my Mac in for a hard drive exchage (recalled under warranty).

This webpage showed me how to reinitialize the serial number (etched onto the footplate of the Mac chassis). It's moderate difficulty, but not impossible. The trickiest part was getting disk utility to actually burn the Blank Board Serializer to CD. After that, very simple and after restart, everything works!

http://rogersm.net/icloud-problems-mountain-lion-serial-number

Hope this helps anyone missing a serial number!

Reactions: dennist48

jeanmi1229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
UK
I had the same problem.

Previously, I was never able to login to use iMessage from my desktop Mac, but basically ignored the problem (used my iphone). After El Capitan, I was not able to access iTunes or iCloud at all.

I did notice that I was missing a serial number on my computer (from Finder, go to About This Mac). Somehow my serial number got wiped when I took my Mac in for a hard drive exchage (recalled under warranty).

This webpage showed me how to reinitialize the serial number (etched onto the footplate of the Mac chassis). It's moderate difficulty, but not impossible. The trickiest part was getting disk utility to actually burn the Blank Board Serializer to CD. After that, very simple and after restart, everything works!

I did everything correct up until i missed one character on my serial number. Now I need to find a way to rewrite the correct serial number or erase and enter the correct serial number. Anyone know how to rewrite the Serial number again...???

SplitEights

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Los Angeles
I did everything correct up until i missed one character on my serial number. Now I need to find a way to rewrite the correct serial number or erase and enter the correct serial number. Anyone know how to rewrite the Serial number again...???

Wow, you were so close to the finish line!

Sorry, I have no idea how to blank out the serial number again. I would back up your computer, may need a motherboard reset.

Best of luck!

jeanmi1229

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
UK
Wow, you were so close to the finish line!

Sorry, I have no idea how to blank out the serial number again. I would back up your computer, may need a motherboard reset.

Best of luck!
Ok thanks for the help. Is this motherboard reset something i can do myself or does that involve installing a new logic board??

dennist48

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2015
USA
I had the same problem.

This worked like a charm on my late 2011 MBP which had had it SN erased in a service event. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.