Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
These days when you back up your phone it doesnt back up the full version of the apps?

If not, why is it when I restore my phone it does not fully restore the apps, now that app store is down I only see the "shadows" off the apps and nothing is downloading...

so is there a way to full back up these apps so that we are not dependant on app store to be working?

cbrand493

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2015
Perth, Australia
For some apps, when you click update on your phone it only downloads an incremental update instead of the full app again. The incremental update cannot be transferred to iTunes meaning it wont backup apps.

If you cannot connect to the app store on your phone, then that's an issue with your WiFi or carrier network.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
For some apps, when you click update on your phone it only downloads an incremental update instead of the full app again. The incremental update cannot be transferred to iTunes meaning it wont backup apps.

If you cannot connect to the app store on your phone, then that's an issue with your WiFi or carrier network.

That's not what app thinning is.
App Thinning is taking the IPA that's uploaded to iTunes by the developer, and having the App Store spit out a version that's optimized for a specific device by removing unused assets (1x vs 2x vs 3x) and splicing out the app binary for the current architecture (vs all architectures, which was the previous method).
Also, this is automatically done by iTunes. The developer doesn't have to do anything.

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Just updated to my new 6S+ -- I'm now locked in a loop where my phone keeps asking for my iTunes password only to tell me it cannot connect to iTunes. Then it asks me for my password again. I cannot clear one notification without the next popping up. Reset does nothing.

Anyone know what I can do to at least access basic phone functionality?

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine
Just updated to my new 6S+ -- I'm now locked in a loop where my phone keeps asking for my iTunes password only to tell me it cannot connect to iTunes. Then it asks me for my password again. I cannot clear one notification without the next popping up. Reset does nothing.

Anyone know what I can do to at least access basic phone functionality?
just cancel cancel and and don't go into the App Store for now and sign out of App Store in settings

Number 41

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
just cancel cancel and and don't go into the App Store for now and sign out of App Store in settings

It keeps asking me. No matter what setting I turn on or off, I keep getting the prompt loop:

1. Login / Enter iTunes Password
2. Cannot Connect (Retry/Cancel)

No matter what I press there, it loops me back to "Login to iTunes"

It's trying to restore my apps to the new phone.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
It keeps asking me. No matter what setting I turn on or off, I keep getting the prompt loop:

1. Login / Enter iTunes Password
2. Cannot Connect (Retry/Cancel)

No matter what I press there, it loops me back to "Login to iTunes"

It's trying to restore my apps to the new phone.

I was stuck in the loop for hours, finally got out. Typed in my info hit connect and it rejected me, but then nothing happened. My apps switched to waiting, then back to being blurred out, and then finally I got a message saying the restore was incomplete.

happy my phone is usable now at least, even though I still only have default apps.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
iCloud and the App Store have been a PITA ever since I got my 6S+. Backups don't install properly, they don't save properly and I still don't have a fully set up phone. It has been over two weeks now.

For instance, my old backup which has worked perfectly on other iPhones caused problems on my new phone. Alert tones were muffled and when I tried a reset all settings the phone crashed & got stuck in a bootloop at the Apple logo. A hard reset didn't sort it and I was left with a DFU restore as being the only option. I installed my old backup again and the same thing happened, muffled alert tones and a bootloop crash when I reset all settings.

I then decided to set up as a new phone and set about the painful process of installing all my apps, photos and videos manually. Not having to do this is one of the major benefits of owning an iPhone so I was pretty peeved. Anyway, a couple of evenings later it was all done. I backed up to iCloud and considered my phone 'back to normal'. Unfortunately I made a grave mistake at this point and deleted my years old backup from iCloud, thinking it was FUBAR.

Then I discovered a couple of minor bugs in iOS9 that others weren't experiencing, so I decided to erase all data & settings and reinstall my new iCloud backup. This would ordinarily have been a completely troublefree experience. Not this time. None of my photos & videos loaded, and a few apps were 'dead' which meant that I had to delete & reinstall them. I erased all data & settings again, then reinstalled my iCloud backup. The exact-same thing happened again, so now I'm left with basically a brand new iPhone experience with zero backup and a couple of evenings work down the drain.

I created this backup from an iPhone 6S+ running iOS9 and yet for some reason it appears to be 'incompatible' with my 6S+ running iOS9. This isn't the experience I expect from Apple!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.