Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
Why are we required to get some apps through iTunes instead of the usual App Store? You'd think ALL apps would be through the APPS Store. I would expect iTunes to be for media downloads :rolleyes:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Examples?

Are you asking about the Mac App Store and iTunes for Mac (or Windows), or are you talking about the iOS App Store and iOS iTunes Store?

There's a specific case where all apps are downloaded via iTunes: iOS apps downloaded to your computer. They are downloaded via iTunes because they are synced via iTunes.

MaxinMusicCity

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Nashville
Examples?

Are you asking about the Mac App Store and iTunes for Mac (or Windows), or are you talking about the iOS App Store and iOS iTunes Store?

There's a specific case where all apps are downloaded via iTunes: iOS apps downloaded to your computer. They are downloaded via iTunes because they are synced via iTunes.

I'm referring only to OSX and IOS. I've always wondered why Apps weren't strictly handled in the Apps Store. I had a hard time seeing iTunes as an App source when I first switched to Apple.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Historically the App Store was only available on iOS; it didn't make it onto OS X until a few years later. The iOS App Store is inside iTunes because that's where all other iOS device management occurs.

Even if the two Stores were consolidated, it still wouldn't be a true "one stop shop" since many third-party apps are distributed outside of the OS X App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.