App Store /iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MaxinMusicCity, Jul 25, 2014.

1. MaxinMusicCity macrumors regular

Why are we required to get some apps through iTunes instead of the usual App Store? You'd think ALL apps would be through the APPS Store. I would expect iTunes to be for media downloads :rolleyes:

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Examples?

Are you asking about the Mac App Store and iTunes for Mac (or Windows), or are you talking about the iOS App Store and iOS iTunes Store?

There's a specific case where all apps are downloaded via iTunes: iOS apps downloaded to your computer. They are downloaded via iTunes because they are synced via iTunes.

4. MaxinMusicCity thread starter macrumors regular

I'm referring only to OSX and IOS. I've always wondered why Apps weren't strictly handled in the Apps Store. I had a hard time seeing iTunes as an App source when I first switched to Apple.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Historically the App Store was only available on iOS; it didn't make it onto OS X until a few years later. The iOS App Store is inside iTunes because that's where all other iOS device management occurs.

Even if the two Stores were consolidated, it still wouldn't be a true "one stop shop" since many third-party apps are distributed outside of the OS X App Store.