App store & itunes store

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cool11, Feb 17, 2012.

1. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

Is it possible to finish the process of creating a new apple id account, using app store, without being forced to declare my credit card details?

I will not ever buy anything from app store-itunes store, I just want to have a valid apple id in order to be able to download official (free of charge) osx updates, when mountain lion arrives, which will not have the traditional 'software update' option.

2. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

3. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

As I read, apple forces to all existing users with an 'old' id, to declare a credit card.
    So I made a new account, and finally it displayed the 'none' option.
    What a mess!

After that, apple store keeps displaying to me an update for a program that I do not have!
    Why I say this? Because when I click update, it says that it is an update for another account (not the old one I have-it displays a really unknown username to me), so I have to login with this account!
    My mbp was new when I purchased it, so I cannot understand what this message means.
    Will I see update signs for programs that I do not have?
    What is this?

4. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Do osx software updates appear in app store too, besides current official method of downloading with 'software update' menu option?

I open app store with my new account and I cannot see any osx updates.
    On the other hand, at the same time, I can see now an efi update for my macbook pro.
    Why this does not appear in 'updates' page inside app store?

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

That will be a feature of Mountain Lion, but for now, all updates to the operating system and installed software comes through Software Update, not the MAS.

jW

6. cool11 thread starter macrumors 65816

cool11

Any comment on this?
    It is really strange to me.

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Why not create an account like everyone else does? Then, the problem's solved. :)

8. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

You can always go back and remove the credit card info. I have done this and it now says no credit card on file. You could also (if your credit card allows it as some do for online purchases) generate a temporary once use credit card number and assign it to your account.