App store links in iphone safari no longer work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FiniteLight, Sep 14, 2008.

1. FiniteLight macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

I've noticed after the 2.1 update that if you click a link to something in the app store from a web page on the iphone safari that they no longer open up the app store and take you to the relevant application, instead just saying that the link isn't valid.

If this is the way its supposed to function I find that a really annoying change as I used to access applications from bookmarked rss feeds in safari as it was way more reliable than trying to find it through the app store directly as it never seems to have everything listed or even searchable which is odd!

Is everyone else experiencing this, and if so do you think this is a bug or is it one of their security fixes?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yeah it does the same thing for me. That is lame.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Same here. "link invalid"

4. jmelrose macrumors regular

PErhaps it has to do with the security update that keeps an app from opening another app on the phone via a web address? I thought I had read that was a security hole that they were going to patch... I dunno.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

only 4 of us? Are the people experiencing this jailbroken? I haven't tried it on a desktop computer. Maybe it's just the iPhone?

6. FiniteLight thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers for the replies, I posted a bug report to Apple just incase its not a security fix so here's hoping they get it working again!

7. petrogad526 macrumors newbie

Have you heard anything back on this? Found it as well. Had 2.0 installed worked fine, upgraded to 2.0.1 worked fine, 2.1 no longer lets me access app store links through iPhone.

8. FiniteLight thread starter macrumors newbie

No reply yet, and I'm not expecting to get a reply from them really. I just hope it gets looked at for the next firmware update.