Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Here is a hypothetical situation:

My wife and I have laptops. Her (crappy) music is on hers and my (sophisticated/diverse) music is on mine. We both purchase iTunes music on our respective computers, but use the same iTunes username/password.

We both buy iPhones. She syncs hers up to her (crappy) Dell laptop and I sync mine to my (sexy) Macbook Pro. I purchase several Apps such as Super Monkey Ball.

Since we are on the same iTunes account, can she get Super Monkey Ball on HER iPhone without us having to re-purchase it? Could I just copy the App file from my laptop and drop it in her iTunes App folder on her laptop?

mattmccarty

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Collins,GA
The easiest way would be for her to buy the app from her laptop. iTunes should say that you already purchased the app with that account would you like to download it for free?

I removed an app from the mobile applications folder and it told me this. So I am guessing the app is linked to your iTunes account.

To be safe before doing this remove your credit card info from the iTunes account, you can never be too safe, and if it doesn't work then drap the mobile applications folder to her computer.

ps I am sorry she is a Windows user :apple:

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hmmm, I have a feeling that wouldn't work. If that were the case, a bunch of friends could all share an iTunes account and only pay for music/movies/Apps once.

Actually, maybe that would work. iTunes allows you up to 5 computers to be "authorized".

khanriazaoif

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
yes you can

Here is a hypothetical situation:

My wife and I have laptops. Her (crappy) music is on hers and my (sophisticated/diverse) music is on mine. We both purchase iTunes music on our respective computers, but use the same iTunes username/password.

We both buy iPhones. She syncs hers up to her (crappy) Dell laptop and I sync mine to my (sexy) Macbook Pro. I purchase several Apps such as Super Monkey Ball.

Since we are on the same iTunes account, can she get Super Monkey Ball on HER iPhone without us having to re-purchase it? Could I just copy the App file from my laptop and drop it in her iTunes App folder on her laptop?

my wife have the same setup and can share apps. we pay once for apps and even though we have seperate itunes we use the same itunes log in so it does not charge us twice for apps

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
App purchases are linked to your iTunes account,so in theory you should be able to re-purchase a paid application for free on any computer authorized to the iTunes account the paid purchase was made on.

Ace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.