App store not letting me know about updates...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phearx, Jul 21, 2010.

1. phearx macrumors regular

I'm new to ios and was wondering if the app store should normally let you know if an app needs to be updated? I see people having badges which show the amount of apps needing to be updated, but have never actually gotten that without going in the app store.

2. celticpride678

You have to launch the App Store, click the Updates tab and then it will check for new updates.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

on iPhone - Number of apps that have updates will show as a badge notification on the app store app. Go into the app and hit "updates" to see what's available.

in iTunes - Number of apps that have updates will show in the sidebar next to the "apps" section. Click "updates available" to see what apps have updates.

4. draz macrumors 6502a

The phone might periodically check to see if updates are available. But to force the check, just open App Store, as soon as you log in it checks for app updates automatically.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've only noticed an update badge "out of the blue" a couple of times. Usually, I get it after browsing the AppStore. I normally wait to update at home via iTunes due to the size of some of my apps.

Sean

6. phearx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies, I wasn't sure if it happened automatically for everyone else without going into the app store. Now I know I have to go in to the app store in order to check for updates.

7. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

With my 3G I used to get badge notifications when updates were available, but since iOS4, I haven't gotten the badge updates. I have to actually go into the App Store App and manually check for updates. Has something changed since???? For those wondering, I went from 3.0.1 to iOS 4 as, I had the tethering hack and didn't want to upgrade and lose it, so may have been missing in subsequent updates since 3.0.1.