Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
So when I open the App Store it looks like I am signed in -- in the lower left corner I see my Apple ID, avatar and gift card balance.

But after a short time I get an alert asking me to sign in to the App Store. When I click "Sign In" I get an error "An unexpected error occurred while signing in."

When I go to the Store menu I see my Apple ID and when I choose "Sign out" nothing happens.

No updates are shown in the Updates tab (though I know there are some) and if I try to download an app I get a "Cannot connect to the App Store" error.

I am signed in to iCloud and iTunes OK -- no issue there.

I was on the phone pretty much all afternoon with Apple to no avail. I tried clearing the AppStore plists and various cache folders with no luck.

Finally, support said to re-install Mojave. Which I did -- no joy.

Anybody here have any pearls of wisdom?

Thx

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
While I'm not exactly in favor of or like the new App Store, it has worked flawlessly for me. It sounds like you're getting disconnected from the App Store. Any other connection problems?

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
No connection issues -- browsers work, I can see (and screen share) the computer (MacBook Pro 2017) on my network. Recovery mode was able to download Mojave from the recovery servers (though that is a bit different).

I wanted to upgrade to Xcode 10 to be in sync with my iMac -- after the reinstall of Mojave failed, I downloaded and installed the Xcode 10.1 beta (and all the "additional components") without issue.

It is like I am "half signed in" to the App Store.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
After a few hours on the phone and being bumped up to somebody relatively senior (or at least knowledgeable :) ) we managed to get exactly nowhere.

She connected to my computer, observed that yes, in fact, it was doing what I said. She had me run thru a bunch of things - most (but not all) I had already tried (plists, caches, etc)

Finally she said "Damn if I know..." and we ended up with my running a diagnostic program for a few hours (not sure how long -- I was off to Happy Hour) and uploaded the resulting file to Apple.

I wasn't going to take my iPad Pro on my upcoming trip (I can do most of my routine work with it if I had to) but I don't really feel confident that there isn't something lurking that will bite me in the tender parts.

BTW, does anybody else think Apple's phone voice recognition system sucks? Lots of wasted time getting routed to the wrong department -- a simple "I think you are talking about X is that right?" would have saved me lots of time. But the Mothership knows best, I guess...

Oolster

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
The following solution was posted by Bill Gertz,https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8560027 on Apple's forum.

"
This problem is most likely caused by another copy of App Store.app somewhere on your filesystem. If this is your problem it is easy to fix, the problem is locating the other copy of App Store.

You can do this by starting System Information by clicking on the 'Apple' Menu Icon, then About This Mac. Once System Information starts, click on the System Report... button. In the left hand side pane, select Software and then Applications. Give the report a bit of time to generate (1-5 minutes). Once it appears in the right hand pane scroll through the application list until you find App Store.

On my system I had three copies, the current version from Mojave, and two others from CarbonCopy SafetyNet Backups. You can find the location of each by first clicking on the application, and then looking at the Location in the pane just below the Application List pane. For example I had a copy of App Store located in:

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-00-23/

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-20-44/

As these were rather old backups of the App Store.app, I simply deleted both of these directories. Once I freed myself of these old backups the App Store worked perfectly. I don't believe a reboot is necessary, but I did one none the less.

For information on why this happens and more explanation see the following very helpful posts:

mac appstore - Mojave App Store is only showing Updates tab - Ask Different

mac appstore - Mac App Store not working on macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta 1 (18A293u) - Ask Different

Tried to talk with AppleCare support and was told to wipe my hard drive and reinstall MacOS (um, no thank you), or not to make changes as the advise might damage your operating system (from a filesystem backup copy???). Whatever.

Eventually AppleCare may figure this out, as with all advise given in forums, please proceed with caution."

I found an old application from 2014, and once deleted, I've had no more problems.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Sorry for the delay, was on a long trip.

I checked and I only have one copy of the App Store. I am still waiting on a call back from Apple to support.

Oolster

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2017
So when I open the App Store it looks like I am signed in -- in the lower left corner I see my Apple ID, avatar and gift card balance.

But after a short time I get an alert asking me to sign in to the App Store. When I click "Sign In" I get an error "An unexpected error occurred while signing in."

When I go to the Store menu I see my Apple ID and when I choose "Sign out" nothing happens.

No updates are shown in the Updates tab (though I know there are some) and if I try to download an app I get a "Cannot connect to the App Store" error.

I am signed in to iCloud and iTunes OK -- no issue there.

I was on the phone pretty much all afternoon with Apple to no avail. I tried clearing the AppStore plists and various cache folders with no luck.

Finally, support said to re-install Mojave. Which I did -- no joy.

Anybody here have any pearls of wisdom?

Thx
[doublepost=1541059127][/doublepost]I had the same problem. Here's my earlier post after finding a solution.
The following solution was posted by Bill Gertz,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8560027 on Apple's forum.

"
This problem is most likely caused by another copy of App Store.app somewhere on your filesystem. If this is your problem it is easy to fix, the problem is locating the other copy of App Store.

You can do this by starting System Information by clicking on the 'Apple' Menu Icon, then About This Mac. Once System Information starts, click on the System Report... button. In the left hand side pane, select Software and then Applications. Give the report a bit of time to generate (1-5 minutes). Once it appears in the right hand pane scroll through the application list until you find App Store.

On my system I had three copies, the current version from Mojave, and two others from CarbonCopy SafetyNet Backups. You can find the location of each by first clicking on the application, and then looking at the Location in the pane just below the Application List pane. For example I had a copy of App Store located in:

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-00-23/

/_CCC\ SafetyNet/2016-09-08\/2016-09-08\ \(September\ 08\)\ 15-20-44/

As these were rather old backups of the App Store.app, I simply deleted both of these directories. Once I freed myself of these old backups the App Store worked perfectly. I don't believe a reboot is necessary, but I did one none the less.

For information on why this happens and more explanation see the following very helpful posts:

mac appstore - Mojave App Store is only showing Updates tab - Ask Different

mac appstore - Mac App Store not working on macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta 1 (18A293u) - Ask Different

Tried to talk with AppleCare support and was told to wipe my hard drive and reinstall MacOS (um, no thank you), or not to make changes as the advise might damage your operating system (from a filesystem backup copy???). Whatever.

Eventually AppleCare may figure this out, as with all advise given in forums, please proceed with caution."

I found an old application from 2014, and once deleted, I've had no more problems.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
So I finally heard back from support and the response was "Engineering knows of the problem, multiple people have reported it but there is no ETA on a fix." Great.

The tech suggested that I try once more to re-install Mojave -- and since there has been an update since I first had problems I thought "why not."

Anyway, after reinstalling Mojave (actually upgrading to 10.14.1) I was able to sign in to the App store and download updates. It looks everything is working OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.