Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130049-facebook_app_store.jpg

Mashable yesterday noted that Apple has rolled out revamped App Store pages in Facebook offering full browsing and search access for the store.
In the Featured tab on the App Store’s Facebook page, you can see top apps and view the sales charts for paid and free apps across different categories. This is the same information that you would get from iTunes or from the App Store application on your iPhone or iPod touch, but it’s all in Facebook.
Clicking the "Get App" button links users directly to the iTunes Preview or iTunes page for the item, allowing for easy purchase and installation. The new layout also incorporates a "Share" function to allow users to post links to items on their walls. A separate "Search & Share" tab moves things beyond the top apps lists to allow for full searching of the App Store.

Vitrue, the company behind the project, notes that the App Store pages are built on the same technology that powers the existing iTunes Facebook pages and will be expanded in the future to offer additional searching and sharing tools.

Article Link: App Store Now Available Through Facebook

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Great start to many more things to come.

Apple's marketing has quality and value everytime. Choosing to advertise the store on Facebook instead of other social sites proves how focus the company is, despit what pundits say.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
So it's the app store on Facebook. Seems nothing more than a presence on Facebook, albeit a significantly well done presence, but nothing extra compared to iTunes.

Good if you're on a computer that doesn't have or allow iTunes I guess? Probably best for Windows or Linux users or if you don't want to enter your Apple ID into someone else's iTunes?

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
well this is actually something that Apple has to and something thats great for developers as well because of the upcoming onslaught of Android phones. Apple needs to to show developers that its giving them every way possible to reach their audience members.

francisq

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
This is really big.

Apple will reach millions more now with the App Store available through Facebook.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Good news. Plenty of corporate machines can't run iTunes.

First question - do these pages work inside the iPhone Facebook app - can I post a link to my wall that will show as a page on the web and divert to the app store on someone's phone automatically?

Phazer

ss957916

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I don't really see the point. The App Store is only any use if one has an iPhone/pod Touch/pad - in which case one would already have awareness of/access to the App Store.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Ah, great. More spam coming soon to Facebook. This is starting to remind me a little of the myspace days. It would appear that Facebook is getting really close to jumping the shark.

francisq

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2010
I don't really see the point. The App Store is only any use if one has an iPhone/pod Touch/pad - in which case one would already have awareness of/access to the App Store.

To be able to share, talk about and "like" apps with your friends is a big f'in deal.

the rate of velocity of activity in the app store will increase 10-100 folds.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I suppose this is good. The more points of interaction with the potential customer, the better. Though really, how difficult is it to go to http://www.apple.com ?

It's not. Same as it's not that difficult to go to a URL to download an app for your smartphone.

But to have it at a convenient place....

Not that hard to figure out...

ldkoehler

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2006
facebook is turning into AOL for the 21st century, an internet portal for the common man, just more distributed this time. it was terrible the first time around.

everyone, please stop.

trenton

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
How about a really useful feature

Instead of having the store show up on Facebook, why not let the actual apps RUN on Facebook? Like widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.