App Store opens itself!

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by seme332, Mar 19, 2014.

1. seme332 macrumors regular

seme332

Hey Guys!

So I've got the following problem: every time I am on a site like 9to5mac or something similar the App Store suddenly opens itself and shows me some random App. Also I have noticed that there are randomly tweets send out of my twitter account which I did not send (spam tweets... Something about weight loss and dr. Oz). Are these 2 things happening randomly or is there a connection?

I know that there are ads on sites like 9to5mac but does this happen to anyone else? Because maybe I am just not careful enough but I am almost 100% sure that when the App Store opens I did not click any ad :/

Thanks!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

The App Store issue sounds like some sort of unpleasant banner ad. Might be worth contacting 9to5mac, or keeping a note of what banner ads are there.

For the second one, this is a twitter issue. Go to your account, look for Permissions and revoke access to anything that looks remotely suspicious.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

App store thing will be the on running thing where websites, adverts are redirecting to the url address that apple have for opening the app store but use Java i think it is to do it without you clicking on anything. There is an ongoing thread about this on here somewhere.

Second one will be your twitter account has probably been hacked so as above check what has access and probably change your password as well.

4. Tritto macrumors member

Hi there. I have this problem too. There is another thread where it was suggested that code embedded in an ad will redirect you to the App Store. There doesn't seem to be anything you can do about it.

5. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Disabling JavaScript renders the ads useless, but this isn't really a good solution.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Never had this problem.
    Just browsed to 9t05mac homepage, clicked into two articles.

Not seeing this. Can you give more guidance. I'm curious.

7. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If you are jailbroken, install adblocker and that will solve the problem.

I still have the problem where an ad in a few apps that I have will open the App Store though.

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

9. csixty4 macrumors regular

The App Store thing is something that's been going on for a while now. It's possible to open the App Store to a specific app with a URL, and advertisers have started exploiting this. Usually, if you let the site know nicely, they'll pass the feedback on to their ad network and the offending ad will be dealt with.

The Twitter thing sounds like your account was hacked. Change your password ASAP and log into the twitter.com site to see what apps have permission to post to your account. You should remove any you're not using anymore.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

It would really be nice if Apple could address that issue so that it can't just keep on getting abused. It's pretty much analogous to pop-ups in browsers which have been taken care of for years now by pretty much every browser adding a pop-up blocker or an option to deal with them at least (even Safari in iOS has that), yet this particular version of it goes unaddressed for some reason.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Buy Adblock on the App Store. End of problem.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

How does that end the problem?

13. JackieInCo macrumors 601

If you are jailbroken and install adblocker, it prevents ads from displaying in Safari and so they can not open the app store. Problem solved.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like that reply was about installing an app from the App Store, unrelated to being jailbroken and using a jailbreak tweak.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Yes it was. Not sure if the app store app works. Read the reviews.I wouldn't buy it.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Right, thus part of the reason why I asked how that would really work and resolve the issue.

17. JackieInCo macrumors 601

And the one I mentioned, does solve it.

18. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Adblock works 100% for me. It removes ALL ads from Safari and also from within apps. It's amazing.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

I understand that as well, but I was curious about that particular one that was posted about.

----------

So how does it work? You just install the app and then use Safari and other apps as you normally would and somehow because of that app you wouldn't see any ads at all anywhere and that's it?

20. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Sorry, it's called Weblock.

----------

You install it and then copy & paste the key into your WiFi connection proxy tab (on the phone).

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ah, so a different app that's essentially a proxy server and only works for WiFi (and needs to be set up for any WiFi connection you might have)?

22. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Weblock, not Adblock. My mistake.

----------

It does only work on WiFi. The setting up takes a matter of seconds and it remembers the info for each network even after an o/s restore.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

How secure or private is it to go through a third-party proxy for pretty much everything? You get the benefit of no or little ads, but then all your data goes through some third-party servers.

24. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

[​IMG]

[​IMG]