Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning informed developers that they're now able to offer up to 10 screenshots in their App Store product pages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Apple TV apps, allowing them to show customers more of an app's experience.

In the App Store, each app has its own product page that offers up a description and images to explain its function or gameplay.

appstorescreenshots-800x650.jpg

Previously, app developers were limited to a total of five screenshots plus up to three 30-second preview videos for demonstrative purposes, which is increasing to 10 images plus videos.

For apps that run on multiple devices, developers will be able to provide 10 tailored screenshots for each device.

For customers, the expanded screenshot limit means developers will be able to offer a clearer, more expansive picture of what an app is capable of, providing a better idea of an app's feature set ahead of purchase.

Article Link: App Store Pages Now Able to Feature Up to 10 Screenshots

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
I hate Apple's new model of releasing features randomly along the way. Why can't they just implement these things up front?

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I hate Apple's new model of releasing features randomly along the way. Why can't they just implement these things up front?
They can implement them up front, if they move up front from 6 months ago to right now. Meaning everything gets delayed.

Chuck Kostalnick

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
Denver, Colorado
True progress right there. Can't wait for them to turn it up to 11!
I know enhancements like this are easy to poke fun at, but these are genuine quality-of-life changes that both Developers and Users will benefit from.

I hate Apple's new model of releasing features randomly along the way.
It's great to see them continue to iterate and add small features along the way. By untethering these things from major software releases helps improve the platform without forcing features ready for release to be stuck on an arbitrary Fall release schedule.

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Now that HomePod is released, somebody git some time to do something else. The first low hanging fruit is delivered. /s

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Good to have, but sometimes too many screenshots could confuse the user and negatively affect the app.
That's why it's 10, and not 100.

Yeah! Why don't they just release the final version of iOS while they're at it? Why do they keep messing around with updates every year, just finish it already!

But seriously, this isn't a "feature", it's just changing a number in a feature that already exists. Obviously it could have been 10 from day 1. It could have been 30, or 2, or any other number. Initially they decided that 5 would be a good balance. Over the years that view changed. So they changed the "5" in a config file somewhere to a "10", and informed developers. That's it. Don't make it out to be more or less than what it is.

--Eric

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.