Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zymosis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Why does the app store application not support push notifications to show me when there is an update for a piece of software I am running? Seems like this would be an easy and useful way to demonstrate the push feature.

doctabu

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2006
Why does the app store application not support push notifications to show me when there is an update for a piece of software I am running? Seems like this would be an easy and useful way to demonstrate the push feature.

Imagine having 100 apps installed.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I don't understand why they can't just push a badge. I don't even need a notification! I just want the badge number telling me I have an update!

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA
It would work like so:

Whenever you install/delete an app on your phone, that information is sent to Apple and paired with your UDID. That way, Apple knows what apps you have installed and what version they are. When a new version comes out, a badge change is made on the App Store icon.

It's no more battery-intensive than any other push notifications are. Of course, it adds server-side load. Apple would have to make a new server in order to handle that load. Worth the cost? Probably not, considering Apple is not adding push notifications to the App Store as of yet.

losx12

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2006
Doesn't it already do this. It's not as fast as Push with an app like AIM but it already shows me a badge with the number of apps available for updates without having to open the App store.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Doesn't it already do this. It's not as fast as Push with an app like AIM but it already shows me a badge with the number of apps available for updates without having to open the App store.

Not me. I wish though. I hate checking all the time. lol.

Maverickster

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009

Yeah, mine does this as well.

--Mav

iKieran

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2009

Yeah mine does too, like this:

Attachments

• IMG_0450.PNG
    IMG_0450.PNG
    139.1 KB · Views: 82

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
If I remember correctly in previous OS version mine used to update the # as soon as an update came by.....but now on my 3gS the number only gets updated every time I open the app :(

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
The badge number doesn't appear automatically, you have to go into the App Store for it to do a check...

Zymosis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah all I want is a badge! :)

It only shows a badge AFTER you have entered the store.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
it already does this, your appstore icon should show you the badge. Maybe a restore will fix it for ya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.