App Store query

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChazDaSpaz, Jun 18, 2008.

1. ChazDaSpaz macrumors regular

Hey everyone, I'm sort of on the fence about getting the new iPhone 3G, meanwhile when iPhone software 2.0 comes out I will probably download loads of things on my current iPhone. If I do get a new iPhone 3G will I be able to transfer my games and apps etc to my new iPhone for free or will I have to pay for and download them again?

Thanks for your help and sorry if this has been asked, but I could not find anything about this on search.

2. robhedin macrumors regular

The implication is that the purchase is tied to your itunes account, so it *should* work similarly to the way music is handled. I put this question directly to Apple last week and got the response "there are things we still have to work out".

rob.

3. christall109 macrumors 6502

To answer question: You will be able to transfer your apps and games to the new iPhone for free.

When the App store is available, a new tab in iTunes will appear in the sidebar called "Apps". This is where the apps from the iPhone will be backed up. This means that you will be able to move/sync apps to any device you own. As far as iTunes is concerned, its going to handle probably just like when you move purchased tracks around iPods.

4. ChazDaSpaz thread starter macrumors regular

That was a really fast reply, thanks a lot. I kind of assumed apps would work the same as music as in you can have 5 authorized copies on 5 different computers or in this case iPhones but I just wanted to make sure.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

It would be nice to have confirmation about this because for me this will make a huge difference to how many Apps I buy and when I buy them. I dont want to repurchase an App everytime I upgrade my ipod/phone

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I second the fact that there will be an "Apps" section in iTunes.

It's just too easy to delete applications on the iPhone/iPod Touch to have them as a one-time thing like they do with music (what if you were trying to delete a web clip and accidentally uninstalled an app? it will happen as stupid as it might sound to some people)

7. robhedin macrumors regular

My previous question to Apple has been clarified. The terms of the App Store EULA now state that an app may be installed on all devices owned by the licensor. So if you buy software for your original iPhone then later upgrade to the 3G, then you will still be able to load your apps onto the new phone (as opposed to just restoring them to the original).

rob.

8. friekunater macrumors 6502

they will sync with your computer. if you buy it and delete it, it's still on your account as bought and I'm pretty sure you can redownload it from the app store for free.

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

Sweet, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Should make managing apps nice and easy.