App Store Question: What about our old product codes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by avpmusik, Jan 6, 2011.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

There are some apps in the app store that i've originally bought online.
    like transmit. and when i bought them online i was issued a serial number.

what happans to tho's apps? do i have to buy thos apps from the app developer's website again for updates? or does anybody know if we can incorperate our registered info and link them to the app store apps ?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It's already been pretty well laid out that you cannot move your existing license into the App Store. There's no way for them to do that. Your best bet is to wait until the next paid upgrade and then buy it from the App Store instead of Panic, unless the price difference is significant. I saw at least one developer was releasing their product on the App Store at a significantly reduced price for those that wanted to "upgrade" to the App Store version.

jW

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

OK, so I do feel a bit stupid. Apparently it is possible, because I already noticed that Bowtie shows up as "Installed" in the Mac App Store, so it is capable of recognizing what you already have. Don't know how that would work if you had an unregistered trial version of an app though, hate to see developers accidentally losing out on sales because trials suddenly became eligible for App Store updates, which are full versions. Have to wait and see, I guess.

jW

4. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Whilst they are showing up as installed, I don't think there is any indication that updates will come through the App store. In fact, everything I've seen indicates that they won't

The recognition of them is intriguing though. It shows that, licensing issues apart, it is very likely to be possible.

At the moment, the main advantage of Apps showing up as installed is that it stops people accidentally downloading something they already own.

5. Alphakline macrumors regular

Alphakline

From what I understand, third party apps will show "installed" if the mac app store and the third party app both are the same Version #. For example, Pixelmator is 1.6.4 on the app store and 1.6.2 from retail, thus showing not installed.

iWork 09 is the same way. If you did not download yesterdays update then those apps will show buy now. If you updated via software update then those apps should show as installed.