App store - race to the bottom?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by maflynn, Apr 1, 2011.

?

Is the app store causing app prices to go down?

1. Yes, apps are getting cheaper

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No, apps are not racing to the bottom

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. What's an app store

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So now that the app store is getting more established are people noticing the race to the bottom that some folks were concerned about when the app store was announced?

2. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Nope, most of the apps have been very consistent in their pricing structure. Very little race to the bottom.

3. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

My Impressions

My impressions are that (so far) there's no "race to the bottom". By "race to the bottom" I mean:
    1. A bunch of $.99 apps
    2. Big titles (mostly) at $4.99.

I don't see a bunch of $.99 apps. And most of the big games (BioShock) are $39.99.

Of course, when discussing things we should strive to "substitute facts for impressions". If someone knows where some data (Mac App Store prices for each app over time) is, or how to scrape this data from the Mac App Store, let us know and we can start analyzing the data.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Not from what I can see, prices appear to have stayed similar to when the App Store was launched. However, I do find it cheaper than buying the same software elsewhere for some bizarre reason.

For example, the point and click adventure game Machinarium is £5.99 on the Mac App Store but the Steam version is £14.99. Aperture is another good example.

This seems to apply for pretty much everything apart from the games that are made by porting houses, which prices are rather higher then the CD versions it seems.