Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Last night before I went to bed I was looking through the App-Store to look for some new applications that were released that I might want to download. After finding a few interesting ones I noticed quite a few of my apps were out of date, so I clicked update all and went to bed. This morning I had some type of error message blah-blah couldn't download your update or w/e. So I went into the app-store once more to update the application with the error message and decided that while I was there to look through the store once more for any other cool apps. Much to my surprise the stars under the apps were faded showing the ratings of what apps used to be, but every app said "no reviews". After clicking on one app I noticed that the stars disappeared and the box that showed the rating and reviews simply was plain and read "no reviews". I was surprised as it was not just one or two apps, but the WHOLE app-store.

Now, it could just be my iPhone because I have yet to get home and check it out via iTunes, but has anyone else noticed this? It seems that all the reviews and ratings were deleted about the same time that iTunes 8.1 was released. Could it just be the server that holds all the ratings and reviews simply hasn't come back up yet?

Edit: After getting home I discovered that my iTunes still shows all of the reviews and ratings for the apps, however, my iPhone still does not. Is this issue exclusive to just my iPhone or is anyone else experiencing this?

Delirium39

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Apple revamped their review system and they included version specific ratings.

http://toucharcade.com/2009/03/12/apple-revamps-itunes-review-system-now-version-specific/

Unfortunately, it also means that devs get punished on the phone/touch if they improve the app. New updates reset the number of reviews to zero on the list viewing version of the app's display, which is what people see first.

So if we give you new features/content, we lose one of our biggest selling points. Expect to see much fewer app updates in the coming months.

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
So if we give you new features/content, we lose one of our biggest selling points. Expect to see much fewer app updates in the coming months.

well that's stupid, we want updates on an app often as possible. I say we encourage developers to push updates by giving them terrible reviews...lol jk...maybe

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Unfortunately, it also means that devs get punished on the phone/touch if they improve the app. New updates reset the number of reviews to zero on the list viewing version of the app's display, which is what people see first.

Well they still have the overall app reviews(not the ratings though).

I don't think app updates will slow down. Plus, if the updates are good, then there is no reason why they shouldn't be highly rated.

Orr3

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2009
This sucks! Here in Sweden we don't have as much reviews as in the US store. Pocket God has a total of 23 reviews in Sweden vs 5723 reviews in US. So almost every app in the Swedish store will have empty ratings :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.