App Store Request: SSH

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Danraad, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Danraad macrumors member

Danraad

2. The General macrumors 601

In before some know it all who actually knows nothing says Apple won't let it happen. :rolleyes:

Come on PuTTY!

3. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

SSH would be very nice. I am also rooting for irssi or bitchX.

4. DarkUltra macrumors newbie

i second that. I need to do a clean restore and then copy over sms.db call_history.db etc. and i dont wanto install all that Cydia stuff.

5. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

Any SSH app that makes the app store will be a client and not a server, the reason most of us want an SSH app is to be able to SSH into servers that we are the admins off not to SSH into the iPhone itself, Apple will NEVER allow that through the API.

6. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I second that. I am over jailbreaking the iPhone. I just want an SSH Client to admin other systems. I was told by MochaSoft that they have an SSH client into Apple for review, but the encryption could be a holdup because of export laws.

- James

7. LinMac macrumors 65816

That might be a big issue for SSH due to the crypto, but for now jailbreaking seems to be the only way. What a hassle..

8. jwflutterby macrumors regular

come on MochaSoft... that telnet app that was added last night is a joke :(

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I haven't received the iPhone yet (mine just got delivered to the store today!!) but here's a question..

Back in the day (read: 10 - 15 years ago), PGP was updated and released outside the US due to crypto laws and patents (namely the RSA and IDEA patents) still being in use. GnuPG is still available outside the US because of those same laws.. So they can be imported into places where the law allows, but not exported.

Long story short, can you buy apps from an App store outside the country you are in? if so, why couldn't they offer an SSH client or PGP/GnuPG like client at an App store in another country (say, Germany or Italy)? Shouldn't that be possible, and work within the import laws of a given country?

BL.

10. canadacow macrumors member

I have an SSH app that is pretty much ready except for legal hang ups. The only thing holding it up is the export issues around the encryption. This is both a requirement of Apple and the US Government.

More here: www.zinger-soft.com

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Could this not be added to the UK or European App store, or so, so you wouldn't have to worry about export issues? At least in the US, the problem is export laws, not import..

BL.

12. canadacow macrumors member

Don't let the screen name fool you. :) I presently reside in the United States.

13. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm hoping your iSSH makes it through quickly. I'd kill for an SSH app (and an IRC app as mentioned above, which SSH would allow).

14. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'd pay upto say $10 AUD for an SSH client app! :)

doing all my sys admin stuff through safari on my iPhone (to webmin installations)