MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in June, Apple announced some major changes to the App Store, including the addition of ads to App Store search results. App Store Search Ads have gone live as of today, and Apple is allowing developers to purchase ad spots. Ads from developers will be displayed starting on October 5.

Search Ads have been in beta testing since the feature was announced, and developers were previously able to participate in a beta testing program to provide ads that were visible to App Store users.

appstoresearchads-800x390.jpg

With Search Ads, developers can bid to have their app listed as the top result when certain keywords are used, improving app discoverability. Ads are available through an auction system, with one ad displayed to customers on each search result page. Ads are clearly marked and ad content is the same content that's available on the App Store app description pages as it uses App Store metadata and imagery.

According to Apple's Phil Schiller, Apple "thought about how to carefully" do search ads in a way that "customers will be happy with." Apple also believes the ad auction system is fair to developers, including indie developers.

Developers do not need to pay a minimum amount to use Search Ads, so it's possible to buy ads for a small sum of money. Apple prices Search Ads based on a cost-per-tap model, so developers only pay when a user taps on an ad. Apple displays ads based on a combination of bid amount and an app's relevance to the search query, with ad matching done automatically.

Developers who sign up to offer Search Ads are being given a free $100 credit to get started with the program.

Article Link: App Store Search Ads Go Live October 5, Developers Now Able to Purchase Ad Spots

sykeward

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
Portland, OR
John Gruber wrote about this back in April when it was originally reported by Bloomberg, and I still agree with his thoughts:

"This sounds like a terrible idea. The one and only thing Apple should do with App Store search is make it more accurate. They don’t need to squeeze any more money from it. More accurate, reliable App Store search would help users and help good developers. It’s downright embarrassing that App Store search is still so bad. Google web search is better for searching Apple’s App Store than the App Store’s built-in search. That’s the problem Apple needs to address."

http://daringfireball.net/linked/2016/04/14/bloomberg-app-store-search

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
Is this related to reading our "notes" so they can target ads? If so, I want to opt-out.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Can't wait for a jailbreak just so I can block this crap.
I don't think you can block this ... App Store search queries happen server side. You could get a jailbreak tweak to filter the top listing... but I don't think that's really what you want to do.
[doublepost=1475108627][/doublepost]Apple is going to make so much money from this

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Now there needs to be an external Apple App Store review/rating site. Amazon include a 'verified customer' tag on reviews which is very important but it should be possible to filter out those that are not verified.

The 'Top Grossing' list in the App Store is really pointless but I'm sure people use it. It really just tells you which apps with in app purchases are fleecing their users the most. Top paid and top free are also pointless as they don't reflect quality or usefulness.

Just 'top rated by verified customer' and filter by reviewer rating (when other users rate reviews).

Reactions: Mactendo

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
When a Kindle is designed to show you ads, Amazon gives you a discount on the hardware. But Apple is still charging full price for hardware then selling its customers to ad services? It really cheapens the brand.

Reactions: Mactendo

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Hmm, not sure how I feel about this as I am 100% against ads, but maybe some nice apps can get noticed.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
This is so tasteless and tacky... but increasingly fitting of Apple.

It's not that bad. They will only show up on searches that are related to the ad. They are clearly labeled, and it might give a smaller party a change to show up on top for once.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Some Kandy Krush Saga like apps will get all the top spots, those can pay whatever they want for an ad. And indies will suffer even more.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's not that bad. They will only show up on searches that are related to the ad. They are clearly labeled, and it might give a smaller party a change to show up on top for once.

It is not the confusion, but the unpleasantness on a small device as it can crowd out results that you want if you do use specific search terms. I cannot stand ads on an iPhone and I always pay if there’s an option or delete the app if does not. I find it very problematic that Apple does this. I’d rather have them significantly improve the search function, but they clearly do not see the priority of this.

Reactions: S G

Sedulous

Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Do you really think ads will showcase worthwhile apps and not simply be Apple's version of pay to win for devs? If Apple wants to showcase worthy apps, oh wait, they already do. Sorry to be snarky, I like your optimism but the ads in Apple's App Store is as tacky as having ads in the OS.

vmachiel

macrumors 68000
Feb 15, 2011
Holland
Do you really think ads will showcase worthwhile apps and not simply be Apple's version of pay to win for devs? If Apple wants to showcase worthy apps, oh wait, they already do. Sorry to be snarky, I like your optimism but the ads in Apple's App Store is as tacky as having ads in the OS.

Maybe I won't mind them that much, because I never browse the app store. I only go there when I know what I want to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.