Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The App Store had a record-breaking holiday season according to a new press release issued by Apple this afternoon. During the week starting on Christmas Eve, a record number of customers made App Store purchases, spending more than $890 million in that seven-day period.

On New Year's Day 2018 alone, customers made $300 million in purchases. Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said the company is "thrilled" with the reaction to the revamped App Store that was introduced as part of iOS 11.

appleappstore-800x296.jpg
"We are thrilled with the reaction to the new App Store and to see so many customers discovering and enjoying new apps and games," said Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "We want to thank all of the creative app developers who have made these great apps and helped to change people's lives. In 2017 alone, iOS developers earned $26.5 billion -- more than a 30 percent increase over 2016."
According to Apple, popular augmented reality game Pokémon Go topped the App Store charts on December 21 after new AR features were introduced. Apple says there are close to 2,000 ARKit-enabled apps on the App Store, with popular titles including CSR Racing 2, Stack AR, Kings of Pool, Amazon, Wayfair, Night Sky, Pitu, and Snapchat.

Apple's ARKit mention comes following a report that has suggested interest in ARKit apps is waning. App Store data shared yesterday by Apptopia suggests developers have been releasing fewer ARKit-compatible apps over the course of the last two months.

Apple in iOS 11 introduced a new App Store that separates apps and games into distinct categories for improved app discovery. The redesigned App Store also features a "Today" section that's updated on a daily basis with new and popular apps and games.

Article Link: App Store Sees Record-Breaking $300 Million in Purchases on New Year's Day

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Wow...I liked the iOS 11 revamp to the App Store too, but those numbers are crazy good! Maybe they'll extend that type of approach to the Movie/TV purchases later on. It definitely pulls you in to the content more effectively.

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I still see some 32-bit apps from developers that have not had time to update. I wonder when Apple will remove them completely from the App store.
As long as there are still a fair number of iOS device users running an older version of iOS that is compatible with 32-bit apps, I would think Apple would keep these available. For example, if you have an iPhone 5S running iOS 9, your device is still very capable of running 32-bit apps.

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
Alexa App download was the TOP #1 . It is free and also pretty much a slap to Siri.
Seems as if the latest posts here were paid by Apple itself lol. Just saying!

"and also pretty much a slap to Siri"

How so? If you don't own a echo why would you use this app on a iOS device?

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
I don’t see the link.

off the top of my head:

Ulysses
Bear
Astropad Studio
Duet Pro
Clip Studio Paint for iPad
Day One
Evernote

of these, Evernote has a reason to charge a subscription since they provide the backend services (for cross platform reasons). the others don't have a reason to be subscription based (even Bear uses the user's iCloud storage, they aren't providing any backend services).

Last edited:

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
off the top of my head:

Ulysses
Bear
Astropad Studio
Duet Pro
Clip Studio Paint for iPad
Day One
Evernote

of these, Evernote has a reason to charge a subscription since they provide the backend services (for cross platform reasons). the others don't have a reason to be subscription based (even Bear uses the user's iCloud storage, they aren't providing any backend services).

No, I mean as in, I don’t see the link between higher App Store revenue and the move towards subscription based models. But you raise a good point in that I don’t see how subscriptions factor into this calculation, if at all. If anything, won’t they count as $0 for this purpose?

Did I miss something?

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
No, I mean as in, I don’t see the link between higher App Store revenue and the move towards subscription based models. But you raise a good point in that I don’t see how subscriptions factor into this calculation, if at all. If anything, won’t they count as $0 for this purpose?

Did I miss something?

lower barrier of entry vs paying a high price once. why would it cost $0?

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
RE: "Apple in iOS 11 introduced a new App Store that separates apps and games into distinct categories for improved app discovery."

Actually, that's incorrect !

Call it what it is, a "curated" App Store.

There is NO App Discovery anymore, NOT after the transition that started Sept 1st, 2016, and with the follow-up that resulted in the iOS 11 App Store changes.

The main problem used to be Rankings.

Now, the main problem is Apple / Tim Cook / Phil Schiller has a complete Stranglehold on App Discovery.

This will ONLY get solved if Apple lets us sell our iOS apps OUTSIDE of the iOS App Store.

Games & Streaming Media content apps are thriving INSIDE the iOS App Store ... everything else isn't doing so well.

- John Snow
Lord Commander

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
every year less interesting apps on holiday sale

also too many freemium apps.. meh..

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.