App Store sends updates ...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c.d.embrey, Feb 24, 2017.

1. c.d.embrey macrumors member

That I am not eligible to download. Regularly I get an updates ready message, and when I try to update I'm told "updates not available for this computer." The programs are iMovie and iPhoto, which I purchased as "shrink-wrap" in 2009.

How can I stop this annoying App Store behavior?

Chuck

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can turn off automatic downloads of updates (System Preferences/App Store, uncheck the box "Download newly available updates."
    You can "ignore" the apps, so the App Store won't show those in the Purchased tab: Right click on the item in your Purchased tab, and choose Hide Purchase...

The "shrink-wrap" iMovie and iPhoto from 2009 would have updates if you have updated to at least Yosemite, which won't install on older versions of macOS.
    And, iPhoto has been discontinued - replaced by the Photos app, also if you have updated to Yosemite.
    Garageband would be offering a new version (now at 10.1.6), different from the iLife 2009 version, also if you have Yosemite or higher. You can always accept the purchase of Garageband, and the updates would then install.
    Again, that would be offered only if you have Yosemite or newer macOS installed.

3. c.d.embrey thread starter macrumors member

Currently running Sierra 10.12.3. I update as soon as possible, with each new OS release.

I have Final Cut Pro, Motion, Compressor, etc, etc. I also use Safari, so turning off updates isn't an option.

After looking into Photos, I do NOT want a cataloging system. I've deleted it. Most pros have their own filing system for photos and videos.

Thanks for the help, I learned a lot.

Chuck

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm not sure how you decided that my suggestion was to turn off updates.
    Not even close... :D
    I thought that you might still want other updates, so (reading my post again) I did suggest that you can turn off automatic downloads of those updates.
    The system will still notify you when updates are available, and you can decide when to download an update, or not at all.

5. c.d.embrey thread starter macrumors member

I said: "Regularly I get an updates ready message ..." I wasn't using "automatic downloads of those updates." This is what confused me, I was already deciding when to download an update, or not at all.

I spend a lot of time setting-up preferences to suit my strange workflow. And Apple tries to get me to use iCloud, Photos, Syncing and other services I don't want or need. I'll learn to live with the unwanted changes, because I do want to use Apple Pay.

Thanks again, for the help.

Chuck