App Store sucks

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Guacamole, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Guacamole macrumors regular

What a load of rubbish the new app store is. I can't find anything , only shows a limited number of apps, is this normal? For instance, it I go to the social networking category, if I scroll down to Free and then I click on See All, it will only show some apps that I've never heard of and it doesn't show any popular apps at all, for instance any twitter app and what not.
    How am I to find anything unless I know the name if the app?
    Seriously, this sucks:mad:
    It's all the same with all categories

2. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you see but it works fine for me. When I went to Social Networking > Free > See All, I see them all based on popularity. Twitter was number 4 on the list.

3. Guacamole thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm... Ok my fault, it's because I was on the featured tab, I went to charts and it showed popular apps. Nevertheless, I prefer the old App Store

4. jayiw macrumors regular

I agree 100%. Where is the "categories" category where you could just select a category and see them all starting with the newest app in that category? All we have now is "featured" which only shows a limited number of ones that are not even new and "charts". It's worse then the Android app store now. What happened to simplicity and ease of use? Now it's all cluttered, slow, and a pain in the butt to find anything unless you know the name of what you are looking for. Maybe when Apple sees a decline in revenue from apps and Devs complain enough they'll change it.

Jay

5. Branskins macrumors 65816

Looks beautiful on the iPhone 5! Very fast too

6. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

Try tapping the big button labelled categories at the top left??

7. MyMacintosh macrumors regular

I think I know what the OP is talking about. I think its more about the UI. The new app store seems "cramped". It seems like its harder to see more now. I used the new app store for the first time today on my mom's iPod touch and was surprised to see that the whole UI had changed. Was not expecting that...it just seems like the UI makes the app store more complicated now.

8. jayiw macrumors regular

Where? do you mean in 'charts'? If so that does not give me all apps starting from newest. with the old categories button you got a list of each category and when you click for example games you got every game app starting from the newest one. I see nothing lime that now

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

Featured —> Categories on top left.

10. macuser1232 macrumors 6502a

macuser1232

I'd agree that the App Store sucks on the iPad. But, not so much on the Mac.

11. jayiw macrumors regular

Yeah but that only gives me the ones they feature. If I go into games and there was 5 new game apps added today I will never even know it unless apple decides to put it on that page. Also it will only show like a page worth of apps, not all pages of them. How will anyone know if new apps are added anymore? Also I am using iPad if that makes any difference.

12. robgbne macrumors newbie

Other than the reasons given by Whitson Gordon (http://lifehacker.com/5726764/why-the-mac-app-store-sucks), I think the App Store sucks for a number of reasons:

1. You must have an Apple ID to use it
    2. You must use a Mac (or iOS device) with the App Store application to use it
    3. As mentioned, the UI is pretty awful, it copies iTunes which has had Apple's worst UI since it was released.
    4. There is no download progress bar—even downloading OS X, which is 4.44GB, there is no indication of progress or speed whatsoever
    5. Download managers can't be used, so if you want to download something at a particular time (e.g. because of ISP restrictions on bandwidth or access at certain times) or re–start a download, you're out of luck.

There is no reason why Apple can't have a browser interface for applications and allow anonymous purchases using various payment methods. Apple are just trying to create their own closed community so they can charge premium prices and collect an unreasonable fee from developers.

Their approach is the antithesis of the web, which promotes open access to information.

13. irDigital0l Guest

Umm...I'm using iTunes 11 on my Windows PC...its not just for Mac and iOS.

14. robgbne macrumors newbie

Do you have the App Store? Can you download Mac OS applications?

If you visit Apple on–line using a browser other than Safari, you can buy anonymously (you don't have to create an Apple ID) and download software or have it shipped. It's just using Safari that they force you into the App Store application, and once in the application you're stuck.

15. irDigital0l Guest

Wait are you complaining that you can't use Mac apps on a PC?

:rolleyes:

16. robgbne macrumors newbie

Did I say that? Nope.

17. robgbne macrumors newbie

If you click on Purchases, there's a progress bar and pause button. Unfortunately for me, OS X stopped downloading at 1.04GB out of 4.44GB. After poking around for a while, I found the purchases section, clicked pause then resume and it seems to be going again.

18. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

I doens't really "suck". But I do like the old one a lot more. You can only view search results one at a time.

Kind of annoying.

19. robgbne macrumors newbie

Apart from the very ordinary UI, the application itself is very restrictive. Many applications are now only available through App Store, as are updates. So you can't download applications and put them on disc to reinstall later (say if you install a new disc drive since Apple Migration Assistant doesn't seem to migrate non–Apple applications), you must use the App Store.

You can't update applications you already have if they've moved to the App Store, you must re–download them and their updates through App Store, even OS X updates.

20. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

It does suck on the iPhone/iPod touch. I like it on the ipad mini. My AppStore still crashes though when I try to load up purchased.