Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reclaim3r

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
PA
Sweet, nice find!

Currently, I'm forwarding all my gmail to a yahoo account which I setup just for the iPhone just so I can have push email.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I only use Gmail on my phone because stupid AT&T hates all the money I send them. Really, I have AT&T DSL and three phones, but I can't get an outgoing server over 3G that is better than the cwmx.com one leftover from the Cingular days. Why Gmail can let us send stuff out for free is bizarro to me.

Jinkst

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2008
London via Sydney
I've got everything going to my me.com address so it's received within minutes anyway, but this definately would have been useful for me a few weeks ago before I was given a MobileMe subscription.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
It is good news, I don't need it either. I've been forwarding GMail to Yahoo and it's been working good. I suppose I could also do the same with .Me

Still good news to see the App being allowed.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
It would be better if GMail just enabled push on their end for iPhones, like they should have.

Anyway, I think the article is trying to make a big deal out of something that isn't there. It assumes some major rift exists between Apple and Google. The rejection of the Google Voice app doesn't mean they're bitter enemies. And the acceptance of Gpush doesn't mean there's been a "thaw."

Smrtphoneaddict

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Real proof of a "thaw" would be Apple accepting an Official Gmail app by Google. Which I think most of us want.

STEVESKI07

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Washington, DC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Smrtphoneaddict said:
Real proof of a "thaw" would be Apple accepting an Official Gmail app by Google. Which I think most of us want.

What about AppGmail? Works great for me and it's in the app store. It's a little slower then the iPhone mail system but atleast it's threaded emails and you can star items.

HarrisonB

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
geez what are these emails you all are getting that you can't wait 15 minutes at the most and probably less.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
geez what are these emails you all are getting that you can't wait 15 minutes at the most and probably less.

I'm wondering the same thing. 15 minutes is worst case scenario (if an email arrives the second after your iPhone checks for new messages). Usually its less, even if its set to 15 minute intervals. I guess most people here are just way important or something. :rolleyes:

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Anyone know if the notification is different than Pushmail's (ie. link you to the mail app or a website of your choosing)? Since it has access to your inbox count, does it show a badge? I like the fact that I don't have to give pushmail my password and I can have more than one account pushed if I want.

nineohtoo

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
SF Bay Area

Some larger workforces depend on up to date information to get their job done. Calling everyone and relaying information isn't always practical in these scenarios, so constant mass e-mail updates work. Businesses that require something like this usually use BlackBerry though.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
It's not so much needing these emails instantly, just trying to avoid the hit to battery life that 'Fetch' is.

SAG3194

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Alright so according to the article it should be on the AppStore by now or did i not read it right

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
I don't really care, my emails come almost instantly anyways on my iPhone through the Mail.app.

Plus, I rather use native apps if they're available, rather than 3rd party.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Some larger workforces depend on up to date information to get their job done. Calling everyone and relaying information isn't always practical in these scenarios, so constant mass e-mail updates work. Businesses that require something like this usually use BlackBerry though.

Not necessarily Blackberry, but definitely not Gmail. Exchange comes to mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.