App Store Video Recorder?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BullittMustang, Jul 4, 2008.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Do you think there will be a video recorder app available from the App Store? If so how much do you think it will sell for?

2. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Since there already is one, yes. Probably $5.

4. elbirth macrumors 65816

the one mentioned above looks pretty good. I've also seen this one, but I don't know if it'll be available via the App Store, or just jailbreak

http://ushow.com/

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

$20 extra to do what the iPhone should be able to do from the get go?
    Even a $29 nokia can now do 15fps video....

6. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link Dalvin200. That looks like a good one. I take it I would have to jailbreak my phone to get that now? If so I will wait for the App store version. Hopefully it will be ready at launch next week.

7. The General macrumors 601

Then don't buy an iPhone, no one is making you. I will certainly not be buying any video recording software. I have no need to record video.

8. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

it is quite good.. i've used it a few times..

and yes, if you want to use it now, then you'd have to jailbreak your iPhone..

9. admanimal macrumors 68040

There will not be an App Store version of that video recorder program (or any video recorder program) because the official SDK does not support what that app does.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I think Apple will bundle it for free for iPhone users. they said they had more to come, and it'd be a large omission to make iPhone users pay at the App Store for something Apple could easily open up. I'd imagine it's partly back end integration they've been working on.

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Where does it say in the SDK that you can't do that?

Honest question, not an affronted retort.

12. admanimal macrumors 68040

It doesn't explicitly say that you can't, but it doesn't provide the required functionality.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hmm. That's weird.

Well, it looks like we have our first reason for the jailbreaking community to continue...

14. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd say that as we've seen, the SDK is subject to numerous updates and changes, and that come 11 July, we'll see some more additions for developers.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's not at all true from what I hear. Sure there isn't an API that allows you to directly contact the camera and modify the settings to allow for capturing video, but with a little code of your own you could get it running as a video camera. In essence, if apple doesn't say you can't do it, you can totally do it even if they didn't make it easy.

16. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

That sounds more like it. There's no sample code how to do it but it's far from impossible. These frameworks we have aren't a whole lot different to the ones that jailbroken phones used. The difference is mainly the sandboxing that stops you getting at certain directories.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

It is possible that there is some non-obvious way to do it, but depending on how sneaky it is, Apple may or may not allow it in the store. Personally I would be very surprised to see this kind of app in the store until when/if Apple clearly makes direct access to the camera more available in the SDK.

18. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

From what they've made available so far through the SDK, i'd say it was indicative that they'll open it up to developers soon? They first have to announce the capability thought! They have let developers get access to the accelerometers, the GPS, and lots of other parts, but not the video camera part, probably because they haven't announced that feature yet! The iPhone 3G will have video as a very high likelihood.

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

Well, I have probably already said too much about the SDK, so I don't want to make any more comments about that. But yes Apple might just be holding back so they can release their own video app and call it a new feature.

20. BullittMustang thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully it will be included in the new 2.0 update. That would be great.

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

I'd agree. Apple gets 1st dibs, then judges whether it wants just a native app for it, or whether to farm it out to the App Store - e.g. I don't think many people would be expecting too many camera apps via the App Store (though there is the potential for them).

I think whatever the SDK holds now, will be less than what it holds for us in a week or so. My votes on Apple holding back and getting it ready to call it a new feature - after all, we were given the promise of a year's worth. What better time to throw in some more goodies, before the back to school time and iPod/laptop refreshes upcoming.

Will have a browse of the SDK admanimal as it seems I might have missed something...

22. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

there should definitely be a video recorder app...but it should be free!

23. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

There are lots of APIs in the iphone that aren't documented 'yet' in the official SDK. Of course an app using them may be vetoed by apple on the grounds that it doesn't use a 100% documented API.

I was going to write an app that kept a GPS location of any hotspots I walked past, so I could make a little map.. but you can't get the SSID of the connected hotspot with the published SDK so if I do do it I'll have to keep it to myself...

24. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's possible. Not as good as if Apple were to do it themselves, but it's possible (and doesn't go against the agreement I don't think).

I think uShow's also coming for AppStore (at least that's what drunkn said). At the time of speaking (couple months ago) it was gonna be free.

Well, code it yourself. These programmers have to make a living too.

25. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I fail to see why Apple would be against adding video capturing functionality. Their YouTube app is basic at best(I use the mobile site - it's better and allows you to connect to the various user channels, comments, etc).
    Surely an upgrade of the YouTube app by Apple is what's needed to make more like the mobile site's functionality.
    With video capture, they could make it so that you could upload your captured videos straight to your YouTube acount, via the iPhone.