App Store won't update apps

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Crwmlw, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Crwmlw macrumors regular

Crwmlw

My 2 iPads show that there are 2 apps that need to be updated but when I click in the update button I just get a blank screen and nothing happens.

2. steveoc macrumors regular

I'm experiencing the same thing on my iPad for the past day or so. I can update them through the "purchased" portion of the App Store. I'll check my kids' iPads and see if they are experiencing it as well.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I just updated two apps on my iPad...no problems. Not sure what it means...but I'm mentioning it because it does not seem to be an App Store issue.

I also check Apple Services, and there is no indication of App Store problems.

I hope you get it sorted out...:D

4. bjsbabies macrumors newbie

It IS an issue, because I've been having the same exact problem for 2 days. I've even taken the advice of others and done a reset with no avail. The ONLY way for me to update the apps is to go under purchased and search for the apps that need updated. Talk about a PAIN. I really wish they would get this fixed. Then there's one app that's in limbo, I guess, because I've searched and searched and it still says I have one left. Even after telling me I have more updates. I guess I'm just stuck manually doing it while everyone else gets the luxury of getting to do their updates with one tap.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I had the same issue a couple days ago....just my iPad, not my iPhone. Also happened maybe six months or so ago. Here's what seemed to fix it both times. Kinda strange, but it worked.

Sign out from the App Store, then make sure you close the App Store app from the multitasking bar.

Go to Settings/General/Date & Time. Turn off "Set Automatically". Set the date to one year in the future (July 2014). You might get some popup dialog box....just dismiss it.

Open the App Store and try to sign in with your Apple ID....I got an error telling me it couldn't connect to the App Store.

Close the App Store again from the multitask bar...go back to settings and turn Date & Time "Set Automatically" back on.

Go to the App Store and sign in again. This time it should let you in and the Updates tab should work too.

6. dave-tx macrumors member

Having the same issue with 3rd gen iPad. The above suggestion, unfortunately, did not work. I'm figuring Apple will figure this out sooner or later, but in the meantime I'm just updated within iTunes and syncing.

7. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I ran into the issue again last night with my iPad....I actually had to do the "date reset" procedure twice before it would work - but after the second time my updates appeared.

8. Crwmlw thread starter macrumors regular

Crwmlw

Still out

I was able to update once a few days ago now its back to where it wont update

9. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Tried the date thing twice - didn't work for me.

Still have 2 updates that I can't get - works fine on my iPhone

10. Photoshopper, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

Having the same issue past several days on my 3. I deleted apps that iTunes said were updates, but still have "1" showing on the update button and a blank screen. Resets do nothing, guess I'll try updating through "Purchased", but not optimistic.
    It's the only issue I've had since purchase. Is it just one and the same app that's screwing things up?

11. kenmarable macrumors member

Only reliable "fix" I have come across is to go through the Purchased Apps a letter at a time for both iPad and iPhone and update them that way. Also, googling around it seems that it is a known issue with quite a few iPad users for the past several days but has no ETA on fixing it.

12. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Would deleting the app on your iPad. Perform a respring, and then redownload the app help?

13. steveoc macrumors regular

Mine suddenly fixed itself today. Updates loading as they should.

14. madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

i had this last week. from looking on forums it seems to have been a bigger problem that week as lots of posts on different forums appeared round about the same day.

there were lots of solutions posted. they might work for others, they dont work for me.

1. this sticking the date forward. didnt work for me at all.

2. someone said that changing the language on your ipad would work. no great surprise that this didnt work and just left me trying to guess what was french for language, to change it back.

3. someone reported success with deleting network settings. what this did do was wipe the number of apps to update. until i opened the app store and it reappeared.

4. just scanning through all the apps in the purchased tab. all well and good but pain in the arse. it does suggest the problem though is to do with an unidentified upgrade, as in, when it says theres 3 apps to upgrade, i would only be able to find 2, and would be left with it saying '1'. which was annoying but..

5. also tried deleting apps, til i'd deleted everything and it still said '1'.

turning off and on didnt make any difference either.

eventually i wiped the whole ipad, then didnt let it restore from backup. putting in icloud settings brought back the important stuff and i then installed the apps i really wanted but not everything i had installed previously.

so far so good...