App Store worry

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Artmuzz, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Artmuzz, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011

Artmuzz macrumors 6502

I have been buying Apps from the App Store off my visa card for over 2 months and just today on my iPod Touch when I was buying an App from the App store it asked me to retype the three security digits which are shown on the back of my visa card. I went ahead and it opened my payment info where I had to retype the three security digits from the back of my card. When I typed in the number it then asked me if I am sure I want to continue with the purchase of the App I wanted to buy. I find it strange why I already gave the App Store my three digit security number from the back of my visa card when I first registered with the App Store but now they are asking for it again when I buy an App.

I am getting worried. Do other users of the App Store get this prompt sometimes when they buy and download Apps from the App Store? Or is there a scam going on?

Please advise

Art

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Buy iTunes gift cards and use them. You can then remove your credit card from iTunes. Problem solved.

3. darkrai macrumors newbie

from what ive heard as a credit card user myself the appstore deletes important info like credit card numbers and stuff monthly so that if somebody hacks your account they wont be able to use it forever apparently

4. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have never had to reenter that stuff unless Im accessing my account on a new device.

5. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, this is the first time I've used my iPod Touch to buy apps because I usually use iTunes on my Mac or my iPad to buy Apps. So that could be the reason.

6. psonice macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it's a security feature. It'll ask you to confirm you're the owner of the card by asking for that, each time you use the account on a new device (I've ended up with quite a few different iOS devices as I'm a developer, so I've seen this quite a lot of times now ;))

7. gks macrumors 6502

The appstore does not delete your info. The info is saved to your Apple Account. The App Store has no knowledge of the credit card data, it just simply links your App Store purchases to the Apple Account you're logged into.

It was either a random security check or the card expired and they needed new information for the card. If you're worried about it don't ask us, call Apple. Sheesh. This isn't an Apple Support Forum. No Apple Employees are on here and will willingly volunteer that information.

So if you really want help, email them or call them. It's simple. I don't get why people don't just pick up the phone and ask questions when they have them. They get this idea that other people will know better than Apple themselves.