app store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by besmart, Oct 10, 2010.

1. besmart macrumors newbie

hello, am new here and a bit new to iphones( i know am slow). I just need to know something about app updates. i hope I explain this well. Do up dates have to be downlaoded as in do you ahve to request them or can you get some spam type ones?? I was on my phone and went into apps( where ther are some games) and it had updates highlighted and when i pressed the button there was a online dating app??woudl this have been deliberatly downloaded or sapm of some sort.

i hopeI have explained myself okay.
    cheers

2. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yes, updates do have to be downloaded. You can do this right from your iPhone via the App store.

3. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i dont exactly understand what your asking. when you have an app update your idevice will look to see if an apps on the device needs to be updated. it checks through apples servers and sees if the app is the current version on the server. in itunes it does the same thing but just checks the apps in your app library on your computer. there shouldnt be an app on the update list that you dont own.

4. besmart thread starter macrumors newbie

okay so the fact that that update appeared means someone must have downloaded it(??) at some point?

so you cant get any updates as spam..sorry i guess thats what i am trying to ask.

5. Ann P macrumors 68020

I believe the red icons/badges appears come as the developer of a certain app. releases an official update. The badges go away as soon as you update an application. You can always choose to update or leave it.

6. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

That's correct. You cannot get spam updates. Somehow that app was downloaded to your phone.

7. besmart thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that, so are all apps paid for or are there free ones..lol i really am a newby:(

8. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Welcome to the iPhone world.

There are hundreds of free apps possibly thousands of them. Many are quite good. Many apps that you have to pay for have a free version just so you can try them out. Most are incredibly inexpensive.

I'll add this you never have to pay for an app update, they're free.

Have fun exploring the App Store it's a fascinating place to visit. :)

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Unless there is an update that you need to purchase in order to take full advantage of the update. Like Navigon Traffic and Navigon Panoramic View. Both being updates, that require additional purchases to take full use of it.

But with that being said, any basic, bug fix, or little update on 99% of the applications are free.

10. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'll go along with what Mirollin91 posted.

One other thing for the OP. You might want to go to the iPhone iPod Touch app forum, it's in the section just below this one.. The subject there is only about apps. You can pick up a load of app info there.