App Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lindsayanng, Jun 5, 2008.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Maybe this is a stupid question, but i keep reading about the (possible) launch date for the iphone 3G being sometime next week, after the conference.. But what about the App Store? Do you think the App Store will be opened, up and running right after the announcement? or will that possible take a little longer too? I mean, the app store doesn't need to build suspense or anyhting like that, its for people who already own an iphone.. What do you think>

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

It might go up if 2.0 is released as gold tomorrow (or if it already has been), but it doesn't mean that you'll instantly have thousands of apps for sale. If the final firmware was just recently released, most developers probably won't have their apps up and running on Monday.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

High possibility that iPhone software 2.0 will be available after the Stevenote. I expect just a handful of exclusive apps to be available.

4. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Keep in mind that its not only when devs are able to finish the app, but its also when apple approves the apps. And how long does that procedure take?

5. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

yea, but i thought that people have been developing and apple has been approving apps this whole time. Isn;'t that what the SDK was? or was that strictly the program to write the apps and they are not allowed to submit them until the app store is opened?

I am really looking for IM and sirius on my phone, and i am pretty sure apps like IM is going to be created by apple because "hopefully" it will be one that runs in the background.. I would THINK a lot of core apps will have been made by apple and be available immediately.. right?

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

The SDK has been in beta this whole time, meaning not all developers have access to the paid license that lets them compile and export their apps to the iPhone. The free download of the SDK alone only lets you develop and test it on your computer. Once the SDK goes final, it will open up to let anyone pay to get a license to distribute their apps.
    Since the SDK isn't final, as far as I know, no one has been able to submit their app to Apple yet (maybe aside from a select few of the bigger companies), so do NOT expect to see a large number of apps immediately after the launch.

There will be IM at least, and AOL already has an AIM client they've been building as was shown in March.

Also, let's look at this in another way. If Apple releases the final build of the SDK and iPhone firmware with the AppStore on Monday, that means developers will be scrambling to get the final SDK build so they can ensure their apps work properly with all of the final code, then submit it to Apple for approval to show up in the AppStore. A very large number of these same developers will be at WWDC. After the keynote there are classes and various sessions where they'll be getting help and training in the SDK. Do you really think Apple is going to release it all right there only to have all of their developers rush back to their hotels to work on their apps instead of going to the conference sessions?

7. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thanks for clarifying. I am NOT a developer and didnt do all that much research on the SDK. i was under the impression that all the approved developers had it for some time and were able to complete and submit apps BEFORE the launch of the app store.

I am REALLY interested in getting IM on my phone and video capabilities. I really dont NEED either, but i would be REALLY excited to get IM, which (like you said) i might be able to get when the store opens.

Either way, i am excited to see what people come up with. I love my iphone, but i have a bunch of things that i could use added to it.

8. elbirth macrumors 65816

if you have time to kill and want to get a little more info about the SDK and the AppStore (as far as a few apps that are already in progress and a demo of them) I'd highly suggest watching the video from the March event: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/

9. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thanks, i'm going to check it out now. I like to know what to expect.. even if its just a few things.