App suggestion for syncing folders between mac and PC over LAN

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JT3Jon, May 5, 2014.

1. JT3Jon macrumors member

Hello,

I have a mac and pc, both of which are connected via ethernet on a LAN, and I would like to keep very specific folders in sync between these two machines. I actually have quite a few folders to keep in sync, so I would prefer to have a way of either having it sync in the background when it detects changes, or better yet just have a way to manually click a "sync" button, and it will go through an compare all the folders and update accordingly. The goal here is to have whatever is newest or doesn't exist to be update between the two systems.

Any suggestions? I dont mind paying for an app if it does the job well on 10.8.

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

Dropbox or Onedrive?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd also vote for OneDrive of DropBox they'll automate the synchronization.

4. Tomkins! macrumors member

Bittorrent Sync

Bittorrent Sync is what you're looking for. It keeps folders across multiple devices (Macs, PCs, iPhone, Android, and even Windows Phone!) in sync. Give it a try, it's free to use!

5. MattInOz macrumors 68030

MattInOz

Bonus is it's server free so if your only syncing between two local machines the data never leaves your network. Yet it'll still work between off network computers as long as both are turned on.

Although I understand you can use it linked to an Amazon e3 account for offline access and remote back-up.