Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
I'm sure other parents have faced this same issue, and would pay good money (as I would) for an app to fix it. The kids just love to crank the volume up to the maximum when playing back videos. Trying to explain volume limits to preschoolers is generally a futile act. Is there any way to set a maximum volume for videos? Or to lock the volume? I realize I can set the screen rotation lock to mute, but that's not what I'm looking for.

For what it's worth, these are home videos, so another (less elegant) solution would be a MacOS app that would convert all my videos to a lower maximum volume. Probably would take absolutely forever on my macbook, huh? :)

Please, anyone who can find a solution, I would gladly pay you - and be happy to refer you to other parents willing to do the same.

Dave

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
I spent some time checking this out on my iPad and sorry, I can't help. I did notice that the Music app did have a feature to set the volume limit but the Video app did not. The Music app volume limit was set in the Settings app. Maybe with a little encouragement Apple might add the volume limit to the Video app.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Thanks! I did find that setting for the Music/iPod. Unfortunately, it's not a global setting, which seems silly - the whole point is to prevent a maximum volume from blasting out through the headphones and damaging hearing - why wouldn't it apply globally? Just seems like there should be an app for that - or maybe I should suggest to Apple?

Dave

Ashwood11

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2010
US
Thanks! I did find that setting for the Music/iPod. Unfortunately, it's not a global setting, which seems silly - the whole point is to prevent a maximum volume from blasting out through the headphones and damaging hearing - why wouldn't it apply globally? Just seems like there should be an app for that - or maybe I should suggest to Apple?

Dave

I also think it should be global.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.