App Switcher on wrong monitor ( Command-Tab)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by morriske, Jul 10, 2013.

1. morriske macrumors newbie

Anyone know how in Mavericks to move the command-tab app switcher display to another / main monitor?

I have my cinema display set as the main monitor when connected to my macbook pro, but no matter what I do the app switcher windows stays on the MBP display.

Small thing, just find it irritating.

2. RGPphotog macrumors member

RGPphotog

Tab switcher follows the menu bar in Display Preferences, Arrangement. If it doesn't, file a bug report.

EDIT: It's been a while since I had dual monitors on a Macbook (Anything) so I suppose it's possible it's somehow different on laptops. But following the menu bar would still be the behavior I would expect to see in any OS version.

3. morriske thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed

I would expect that as well...but it is simply not the case for me.

4. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

5. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

It appears to follow the dock, not the active menu bar.

6. dyerucf macrumors regular

dyerucf

Looks like it uses the last monitor you actually moused over the dock on.. So for example I have the doc hidden on my machine. If I goto the bottom of the screen on my MBP, which in turn displays the dock, then the next time I use switcher its on the MBP. If I then goto the Cinema display and show the dock there, then the next time I use the switcher its on the Cinema display.

Not sure I like the implementation, but maybe at least understanding it will help restore sanity when using multiple displays :)

7. williamhtrice macrumors newbie

Please let Apple know if you find this behaviour non ideal. Personally I would prefer either of the following behaviours:

1) The Application Switcher is always displayed on the monitor on which the menu bar has been placed under System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement

2) The Application Switcher is displayed on the display with the active (opaque) menu bar.

8. jowie macrumors 6502a

I would prefer that either the app switcher shows on all monitors simultaneously, or that it shows on the mouse's current monitor.

9. eddified macrumors newbie

Thank you. This thread helped me. I prefer the legacy behavior, which is the command+tab UI follows the opaque menu bar. Thanks for the feedback link, I have used it and submitted my feedback. :)

Here is what I said:

10. bartonpoulson macrumors newbie

Got it back on the right screen

As a clunky work-around, I went to display preferences and moved the menu bar over to the other monitor (the one where the app switcher and the dock were showing up) and then switched it right back. Fixed the problem.

11. WMuntean, Nov 21, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2013

WMuntean macrumors regular

Here's the behavior that I've picked up on--if it hasn't been specified in another thread. Click on an application on the monitor you wish the dock/app switcher to be on. Then "double dip" the mouse on the dock at the bottom of the screen. This should switch the dock/app switcher to the monitor.

12. WMuntean macrumors regular

Maybe someone has a better phrase than N dip.:confused:

13. HyperZboy macrumors 65816

BAZINGA!

You're totally right! If you accidentally fly the mouse over to the other screen even while watching TV on it and the mouse hits the dock unbeknownst to you, YUP, it switches the App tabbing to that screen! I thought it was a Mavericks bug and kept rebooting, but NOPE, it's just different.

This was driving me absolutely crazy!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH for solving this! :D

14. sheriffderk macrumors newbie

sheriffderk

Follow the dock, and not the menu bar

+1

Just wanted to reinforce this answer for others. Just interact with the dock on the screen you want the menu bar to appear on. Hooray!

15. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

This sucks for me as my MBP sits directly below my 30" ACD both at home and work. So, in order to trigger the dock on the ACD I have to move the pointer within a mm or so of the bottom of the ACD's desktop without crossing over to my MBP's screen.

Additionally, and I know I'm not alone in how I use this as I've seen others do the same, I tend to command-tab then pick an app with my trackpad, so having it show up on whichever screen currently has the pointer would be ideal.