App Switcher

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by vipermo, Aug 1, 2015.

1. vipermo macrumors newbie

vipermo

Any one else miss the app switcher or just me ?
    i miss the favourites and most contacted ppl.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

This topic has been discussed a lot already...was a brand new thread really necessary?

3. vipermo thread starter macrumors newbie

vipermo

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

Don't miss it! At least they show up in Siri suggestions.

5. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I like the look of the new switcher and the new way of presenting handoff/suggested apps, but I HATE the performance. Scrolling is pretty bad on iPad mini 2, as well as sliding apps upward to close them. Entering and exiting the app switcher is the worse though. I even see my iPhone 6 stutter at times with the switcher, my friend's 6 Plus is worse than my regular 6, bringing it somewhere similar to my iPad.

6. !!! macrumors 6502

!!!

I like the new look, but it needs to be oriented to the right. I'm right handed and use my iPhone 6 with just my right hand sometimes, so it can be hard to use it.

7. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Is it possible to detect whether you use your phone in left or right hand?

8. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I haven't used the beta myself. But I'm right handed as well and by the looks of it, it seems that it already is made for right handed people. It's more natural at least for me to pull my thumb towards my hand then away from it. And also when using your right hand your thumb won't cover the content while scrolling.

9. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Exactly what ZEEN0j said. It's designed for right handed people. Your thumb would block your view as you scrolled if it still went the old pre iOS 9 direction.

10. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I would like iPhone knows which hand I am holding when using phone. Then app switcher can adjust everything for me. Better for one hand use. :)

11. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

I'm not a huge fan of the scrolling in this new app switcher. Not because it's not smooth (i.e. low framerate) or anything like that, but the behaviour is inherently erratic because of the 3D nature. The movements for the particular app you have your thumb on may map 1:1 with the movements of your thumb, but the others slide in at varying speeds depending on where they are in the stack (they come in and go out very fast on the right edge).

I've just found it easy to scroll too quickly, past the apps I need.

I think the problem is if you try to keep your thumb on the screen to 'precision scroll' - this actually hampers the precision, because of the way the apps suddenly start sliding in when you get near the left edge. It's best just to use small strokes to find what you need.

But then if you do too many repeated small strokes, each stroke travels further, making it less precise. I wish it was a steady speed.

12. soy macrumors member

soy

Technically that could be implemented, but only by making the back touch sensitive. It'd feel that there's a couple separate fingers touching the back on one side, and a continuous palm on the other.

That'd mean you can't use any cases anymore though, so they won't do it.

A simple right handed/left handed setting as on the watch wouldn't work as people switch hands with a phone.

I'm right handed, but unlike the person above I use the phone in my left hand about 3/4 of the time.

13. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Was trying to police the internet necessary?

14. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It wouldn't be perfect for constant changers but even just a setting would be pretty cool though no? I'm guessing the majority of people use one hand for the majority of the time - and some of those are left handers who'd prefer a bit of a UI reversal.

And I think they could do it quite easily, because I saw a bit of an Apple developer conference where they went over the changes they made for right-to-left languages. The changes were in the UI as well as text. So back buttons were 'Back >' in the top right and so on. So there's a lot in place for it already. (Like it would be < Back still in English but maybe in the top right? I just mean they obviously have a lot of control over the UI with a few switches here and there)

15. magicman32, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

magicman32 macrumors regular

magicman32

Started a thread about this a few weeks ago. As a right-handed user myself, it's completely unintuitive and reversed for how I use my phone. Would definitely prefer the apps sliding right and flicking them away from my. Still haven't gotten used to the new orientation and very much prefer the old one by miles. Wish they would at least provide a toggle for the orientation. I look at it much like a book, the pages should go right to left, this way just boggles my brain.

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

The weird scrolling is definitely an issue! Low framerate as well.

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

At first I didn't understand the change, but I now realize that it's consistent with the new "back to app" button. When you open a new app from another app, the new app comes in from the right, and the back to app button takes you to the other app which is further left in the stack of apps. It actually works well imo. The mental model of the old switcher is flawed because the animation when taken to a new app doesn't indicate that the new app is next to the old one.

18. bushido Suspended

bushido

i already got used to it, when i go back to my old iPhone 5 on 8.4 now i always scroll the wrong way lol

19. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

You seriously need to send in feedback, basically saying exactly what you just said. I just sent one in covering the horrendous performance (even with reduce transparency enabled!) and how tapping/closing apps is very frustrating because it won't work even if the switcher is moving a tiny bit, you have to wait for the momentum to extremely slowly but surely stop, *then* you can close apps or tap them. You can precision scroll to set the apps how they want to be set before it allows any actions occur, but as you just said, precision scrolling is super hard because if you grab from the very right and slide to the very left, it shoots all the way to the front of the switcher, and the same pretty much goes for the other way around.

20. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

putting recents in the task switcher was the dumbest thing ever. A lot of average users (think parents and grandparents) don't even know the task switcher exists.

21. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I was a hero when I explained how to turn off recent contacts on app switcher to the girls at my step daughter's office. :D

22. KALLT macrumors 601

I never saw the point of it either. I thought they needed something to fill up the space. Truth be told, though, people who don’t know how to use the app switcher likely won’t bother having to go into the contacts, phone or messages apps directly.

The new app switcher is stuttery on my iPhone 6 too. Overall, I am not noticing any of the promised performance improvements in iOS 9 so far. I actually notice more framerate drops, even in places that rarely or never stuttered before. The next couple of betas must improve things a lot more to impress me like El Capitan.

23. dereknas macrumors regular

dereknas

It would be nice if it could be presented in a simple card format where all tasks are presented as small squares.

24. fel10 macrumors 68000

fel10

Do you need a hug? You sound angry.

25. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

On a positive note I'm glad I didn't get used to going there for recents because, surprise!, they moved it again in iOS 9.

There is nothing worse than your muscle memory of where things are getting disrupted leaving your thumb floating over the screen in circles because you can't remember where something is.