App that allows me to wake up my computer with sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Snoogans925, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Snoogans925 macrumors newbie

Snoogans925

Hey there, I apologize if this is in the wrong thread or something, but I didn't really know where to start with this.

But I was wondering if anyone knew how I can wake up my computer when it's asleep or on the screen saver not with a password, but with a sound like a short whistle tune or something along those lines.

If you could help me out, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. Snoogans925 thread starter macrumors newbie

Snoogans925

It doesn't look like that works... It seems like just a timer for when you want things to happen.

What I'm looking for is something that will allow my computer to wake up from sleep when I whistle a certain tune or use some other audio cue.

Thank you for the attempt though, i know this is a strange and difficult question to ask.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you are trying to do. I thought you wanted a sound when the machine wakes.

I'm not sure how the machine can recognize a sound when it is asleep.

OS X does support "wake on LAN" so maybe you could figure out a way for a ethernet connected device to send a wake on LAN signal when it hears a sound? Just an idea.

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

When it's asleep? Doubtful. At least, I don't see anything immediately obvious.

When the screen saver is on? Possibly. Go to Preferences -> Speech -> Speech Recognition. You can configure it to always listen, using a command keyword like "Computer." There are various commands you can use - one is to enable the screen saver. I don't see one specifically about disabling it, but possibly one of the other commands would work for you. Experiment and see what it'll do for you.