App that allows side by side viewing

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Marine0621, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Marine0621 macrumors member

I'm in college and bought a few of my textbooks on my iPad. I also will be using Pages to type up my notes and I had a question. Is there a jailbreak app or an app on iTunes that allows me to have 2 apps open at once and viewed at the same time? I know the iPad does multitasking but it doesn't allow you to view apps side by side and work on one while keeping the other open. Is there a jailbreak for this?

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

There was news of a cydia tweak called "polyonix" that would let you run multiple iPhone apps at once on the iPad, but the most recent update I found implies hes not even actively working on it now.

The closest you can get is using a browser with splitscreen (i had one called multiweb.. it was glitchy there is probably a better one) and using multiple web based apps at once.

I dont think any of that will be satisfactory though, probably best to just deal with it as is or buy/use a netbook/laptop.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I would seriously love such an app. I hope apple wakes up soon and realizes that, even without going back to a full desktop/window environment, there are a ton of times when having just two things onscreen at once increases the ipad's usefulness tenfold.

4. APlotdevice, Sep 5, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Reading this thread triggered a major brainstorm on how such a feature might be implemented officially. Which I promptly began sketching out in InkPad (and they say the iPad is for media consumption only :p):

[​IMG]

So basically you start by bringing up the app switcher. Then you press and hold until the icons jiggle. At this point you will notice two things. First there is a little blue icon attached to some of the apps in the tray. This tells you that these apps support the "dual app mode". Second, if the app currently running also supports this dual app mode, a line will appear splitting the screen in half (apps which don't support it will instead show a NO symbol). The split runs vertical in landscape, horizontal in portrait.

Now you just have to drag a compatible app to either part of the screen. It will take over that part, with the current app collapsing into the other.

5. ghcoleman macrumors newbie

Good thoughts APlotDevice, but that assumes that iPAD's multitasking worksmlike other multitasking. But alas it doesn't. Before you think I am bashing Apple's design, I should say that I really like their current design and understand fully why they did it this way.

First only one application is really running; all the others are "suspended" but not actively running.

However there is a realatively simple solution to switch between multiple apps easily. Move the apps to the "docked position" on your ipad. In this example, iBook and pages should be dragged to the bottom to load them into the docked position. To toggle between the two just press the icon you want to be in. it will take you back to the place you were before. I haven't tried this with iBook, but I do this regularly with other apps and it works beautifully. If IBooks doesn't keep the book you are reading open to the page you are on then try iAnnotate. It is tabbed based so you can have multiple pdfs open at one time.

6. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Aplotdevice I think your idea is fantastic. What people like ^ seem to miss is that change doesn't mean it will be mandatory to use. Apples new gestures are everyone's cup of tea, but I can't imagine going back to double tapping home button only.

It's a great idea because it would allow for app dev's to choose whether to support the feature in their app. Productivity apps would be the obvious best suited ones for such a feature. There are apps that could manage to serve their purpose with only half the screen available (Especially once the iPad goes Retina!!!), like browsers, word processors, video players, twitter, blah blah you get the point.

I didn't reply when you first posted this despite thinking you had a great concept, but it's frustrating when people **** down an idea like this purely because they would choose not to ever use it. There are still people that refuse to accept multitasking (if you want to call it that) on the iPad. Does that mean it's a bad idea?